Cozumel Rash/Little Bumps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quietstorm

Registered
Reaction score
For the third consecutive time, I returned from diving in Cozumel and have found this bit of a red rash with some bumps on my hands.

I have heard nothing but different comments from fellow divers, divemasters, dive shops, pharmacies, and others as to what the underlying cause is, and as many answers as to the cure (you will not believe this, but one diveshop owner said to pee on the rash....TMI, I know, but I thought I would share the laugh).

Usually, after one week or so, the rash disappears.

Does anyone here wish to offer a suggestion as to the cause or the cure?

Thanks

Probably got a tad close to a hydoid, or one was broken and drifting, waiting to bump into someone. Ive been fortunate that vinegar eased the sting for me. Also wiz worked once. Thats kinda nasty. It took the sting away though.

Were you by chance using DEET on your hands? People tend to go heavy on it when they go that far south and it can break you out in a small red bump rash.

It is possible you had some incidental contact with stinging coral. My daughter had a not-so-incidental contact in November in Cozumel. It was quite a rash/reaction. We went to the doctor who gave her a corticosteroid cream, which seemed to make it worse. We checked with DAN and found out that the steroids were not the answer, but vinegar compresses and very warm soaks would do the trick. It took a couple of weeks, but she recovered completely. Hers was a pretty big contact, though (upper thigh to below the knee).

Well, an interesting array of responses, I must say. Here is my response to you nice folks who took the time to respond: no (I know you're kidding by the way) it was not someone's pee; no, I don't think I ran (or swam) into a hydroid; no, I don't use DEET; no, I do not have a photo; and no, neither cortisone cream or vinegar works for my symptoms, though some have suggested, as you did, that it is some sort of stinging coral.

It only seems to have happened when I dive Santa Rosa wall?

Each time I get this rash, it goes away eventually. So, I am not overly concerned.

I was just hoping perhaps someone might enlighten me. Happy bubbles.

Each time I get this rash, it goes away eventually. So, I am not overly concerned.

If you push on it, does it feel crunchy?

Terry

Could be anything. You sure its diving related?

Well, an interesting array of responses,

though some have suggested, as you did, that it is some sort of stinging coral.

Hi-not sure if you know this or not, hydroids are stinging coral. They look like black feathers. Pieces of them can float in the water and touch exposed skin. Some hydroids are up to twenty inches, some are barely visible in the water, one inch. Most people dont see them when they get hit. They colonize everywhere. Even on docks, down lines, boat bottoms.
Santa Rosa wall area is full of them as is every other reef at Cozueml Island. It could be something else, you never know, but your description sounds like a hydoid/stinging coral hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom