Cozumel Scuba Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use Scuba Repair for all our gear servicing and they're great. Javier couldn't open up one of the second stages the other day to see what was wrong with it so he just gave us a new one. We also use their house brand gear and it's pretty rugged and stands up to rental abuse well.

I do agree with cvchief about general reg servicing. I have the tech open mine up and take a quick look at it and performance check it every year(ish) and service it if it needs it. Which it only does every couple years, and that's with 100+ dives/year. I use it a lot so I would know if there was a degradation in performance. If I used it rarely, I would probably have it overhauled more regularly than I do now.

I was down to servicing regs every third year, but wondering if I needed to - and for me it's three sets! Since I dive with a pony anyway, maybe not. I would like someone honest to open it look, but US dealers are always going to go for the service - so maybe next time I'll take them here. :cool:

We're picking up a used set that has been in somebody's closet for a couple years, it'll probably work, but what if it doesn't? We service our other regs yearly.

I've been on boats with 'that guy' who bought used gear and dove with it unserviced and untested all too many times.... I don't want to be 'that guy'.

Thanks for the inputs, I'll give our op a shout too to see if they can hook us up too.

We're picking up a used set that has been in somebody's closet for a couple years, it'll probably work, but what if it doesn't? We service our other regs yearly.

I've been on boats with 'that guy' who bought used gear and dove with it unserviced and untested all too many times.... I don't want to be 'that guy'.

Thanks for the inputs, I'll give our op a shout too to see if they can hook us up too.

I've seen people show up at dive sites with regs from their Uncle's basement with cracked hoses and moldy (yes, moldy) second stages thinking they'll be fine to use. I always get used regs serviced before using them, and would get anything I hadn't used in a while looked at before using them. That's definitely something you'd want to do before using an unknown reg.

Well, in fairness I visually gave them a once over and checked the hoses. I have replaced this and that over the years. Sure I could have been 'that guy' but these were Scubapros and good ones and they looked hardly used. So I took them and tested them on the boat. Had they had issues, I would have borrowed a rental set.

Now ask me how many times I have been on the boat with 'that guy' who JUST got his regs 'serviced' before vacation and they are leaking or whistling or whatnot and I watched a secondary be replaced with a rental one or the whole reg set pulled and replaced with a rental one.

And did you READ the article where the dive guy from Belieze who has 30,000 dives said the most common statement by a diver having reg issues, was "I just got it back from the shop?" And that pretty much every manufacturer had shipped defective replacement parts at one time or another? Or the part that yearly service came from the days of real rubber which "developed a memory after repeated usage that kept them from sealing properly?" Just saying....

Well, in fairness I visually gave them a once over and checked the hoses. I have replaced this and that over the years. Sure I could have been 'that guy' but these were Scubapros and good ones and they looked hardly used. So I took them and tested them on the boat. Had they had issues, I would have borrowed a rental set.

Now ask me how many times I have been on the boat with 'that guy' who JUST got his regs 'serviced' before vacation and they are leaking or whistling or whatnot and I watched a secondary be replaced with a rental one or the whole reg set pulled and replaced with a rental one.

And did you READ the article where the dive guy from Belieze who has 30,000 dives said the most common statement by a diver having reg issues, was "I just got it back from the shop?" And that pretty much every manufacturer had shipped defective replacement parts at one time or another? Or the part that yearly service came from the days of real rubber which "developed a memory after repeated usage that kept them from sealing properly?" Just saying....
I can not agree enough, usually when I see someone have a problem it is on a freshly serviced rig or physical damage due to miss handling in travel to the dive boat.

I had a pony reg fail on me once 10 years or so ago, that had just been serviced. The tech blamed rough luggage handling.

So if not servicing ever 3 years, who could I get to inspect them efficiently? It seems all US dealers want to just service.

I had a pony reg fail on me once 10 years or so ago, that had just been serviced. The tech blamed rough luggage handling.

So if not servicing ever 3 years, who could I get to inspect them efficiently? It seems all US dealers want to just service.

This is where finding a good shop and having a relationship with them comes in handy. If you bake for them they'll do you all kinds of favors :wink:

I know of shops that give the option for a "performance check" vs a full service. They check the IP, hoses, etc, but don't necessarily open up the regs. I'm not sure if there's any shops near you that do that, but it would serve your purpose.

This is where finding a good shop and having a relationship with them comes in handy. If you bake for them they'll do you all kinds of favors :wink:

I know of shops that give the option for a "performance check" vs a full service. They check the IP, hoses, etc, but don't necessarily open up the regs. I'm not sure if there's any shops near you that do that, but it would serve your purpose.
We barely have scuba shops in this part of Texas, and the two I know want to sell service.

Did the airline drop your luggage from 30,000 ft? I suspect your tech is full of it but please tell us about the failure mode.

The inspection is something you can do yourself if you are interested. My regs usually go 5 years or more before I have to do a full service.

Back
Top Bottom