Cozumel shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCC has great shore diving I have heard. I bet you can find some fellow guests there to dive with you and do night shore dives. I LOVE night shore dives as you can hunker down and focus on areas for long periods of time. Can't beat it!

If your skills are good we have done a few shore dives from Nah Ha (just north of Coral Princess) all the way up to Cozumel Club Caribe (Buccanos). It usually takes us about 60-70 minutes the deepest we get is about 35-40 feet and we have hit a lot of diverse life in that area.

I've only done the BA dives (but a lot) was there last week. We enter off the dock, short giant stride, and then back in through the little channel under the restaurant. We've either had no current or mild to strong from the south, so a 50 minute dive into the current, 15 minutes back. Just puttering along, lots to see, and I've seen almost everything there that I've seen on the reef, incl eagle rays (saw another last week), turtles, lots of eel, seahorse, southern stingrays (not in the pen), secretary blennies (check out the rope at the southwest corner of the stingray enclosure), lionfish, snake eels, mantis shrimp, yellow headed jawfish. Sharks, but only because there's three in the pen :(

It's a great nursery site, last week saw tiny juvie french angels and a juvie box fish (little black orb with yellow spots). Last week also saw tiny juvie squid, 4 of them right in front in 15 fsw, about the size of kidney beans but fully formed, splaying their tentacles at me and everything.

good rinse facilities. $5 a tank if you are staying there (and not diving with them, if you are it's free)

That's a good clarification. Depending on the waves that day it could be an uncomfortable exit. Came out with a rebreather, bailouts, dslr and strobes earlier this month and would have preferred it wasn't a Norte wind that had closed the port.

Used that section of iron shore a few dozen times to exit as to not presume on the kindness of blue angel. Though those guys are gracious to exiting divers.

If you do a night dive at BA, I strongly recommend getting to know the entry/exit channel in the daylight. The sea urchins are prolific there, but the channel stays clear of them even after dark.

If you do a night dive at BA, I strongly recommend getting to know the entry/exit channel in the daylight. The sea urchins are prolific there, but the channel stays clear of them even after dark.

We've always found it better to exit on the ladder at the dock. Depends on your fitness, of course. I go up first and have my gf hand up her weight pockets and fins. She could do it all herself if necessary. For night dives, I'll set a strobe about 20 feet from dock and another 50 feet from that.

We have just come out through the urchins and stone fish through the channel. Pays to pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom