Cozumel shortage of Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still maintain if they want to make them extinct, spread rumors that they are like eating Rhino horns.........ultimate male enhancement! Will be hunted to extinction real quick LOL! :)

Would not be a great idea in areas where they are endemic! In the Indo Pacific, it’s a treat to see them. :D

Data point: In two recent weeks of diving Cozumel (May 1 - 15, 42 tanks) my wife and I saw a grand total of two lionfish. Both were only 2 - 4 inches long.

That sucks. I want to eat some more when I come back lol. There was a place a couple years ago with airbrushed seats with ocean scenes that served it nicely.

Would not be a great idea in areas where they are endemic! In the Indo Pacific, it’s a treat to see them. :D

It is only the Atlantic Lion Fish that have the male enhancement properties because eating the Atlantic reef fish that give them the properties. :D

Not exactly. At least in the Philippines you only see large ones. The locals tell me that Stonefish and others devour the small ones near instantly. However, once they reach certain size they can't…but that keeps them in check. We hope for a similar outcome in the Caribbean as they are pretty to look at, and damned good eating.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Need to import some stonefish that like to eat them then lol!

Are local fish learning they can eat them on their own yet?

Not exactly. At least in the Philippines you only see large ones. The locals tell me that Stonefish and others devour the small ones near instantly. However, once they reach certain size they can't…but that keeps them in check. We hope for a similar outcome in the Caribbean as they are pretty to look at, and damned good eating.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

They were all over the reefs in Thailand. Small, medium and very large. They made no attempts to hide, like they do in Cozumel. You lose count of them on almost every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom