Cozumel to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wbwilly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As a future Cozumel first timer I've seen plenty of info about getting from the Cancun airport to Cozumel by bus, van or taxi to Playa and then ferry across. What about the reverse trip. Are transfers from Playa to Cancun plentiful and how much time should I allocate to get from Cozumel back to the Cancun airport?

June of 2003 I was in Cozumel with some friends. When we reluctantly returned home, we did the ferry & bus routine through PDC.

We made sure that we took the fast ferry back, not the "slow boat to china" ferry. (No one warned me so I took the slow stinky ferry on the trip over to Cozumel) It was about $8 US, and they run on a regular schedule. Best idea is to pick up a schedule when you arrive so that you know it is current.

When we hit the dock in Playa, we had several choices. We chose to walk the two blocks up to the Riviera Bus terminal and we took the bus to the Cozumel airport. I don't remember exactly how often the buses run, but I think it was about once an hour. The trip takes about 45 minutes. The cost in June 2003 was $8 US or 65 pesos, so the suggestion would be to save some pesos for the return trip.

In addition there were a bunch of guys trying to convince us to ride in their shuttles or taxis from Playa to the airport. The shuttle van guys were haggling and their prices were almost comparable with the bus, and I suspect that the trip would have been quicker in a van. There were 5 of us returning together, and the van/taxi would have been a little more than the bus, but I forget the specifics. We might have been able to negotiate a deal, but we opted for the bus.

Wish I could give you more specifics about the elapsed times, but it has been almost a year. Ferry was just under an hour, bus was a little under an hour, we went through the airport pretty quickly, so it was all pretty painless. I want to say we left the hotel about 3 hours before scheduled flight time, but I can't swear to it.

Of course the Burger King in the Cancun airport was swamped with Americas getting their burger "fix" after a week on the island.

Wristshot

Thanks for the info...I'll try to make plans allowing about 3 hours for the return to Cancun.

there is a direct bus from downtown Playa to the airport, it costs about 60 pesos ($6 usd) and takes about 40 minutes. I am pretty sure it leaves hourly, but you will be able to check that when you are there.

Sweating it too much bro, those guys are actually very well organized. Ask your hotel staff for rates and schedules. Don't miss the last ferry, especially on your night dive. BTW, ensure you don't get sucked in on one of those sink baths, that some of the dive clubs reckon is a dive boat.

Hope, you are going to the Playa del Carmen Cenotes too, fresh water caverns, unreal.................be careful though, I almost met my maker there.

http://www.cavern-diving.com/e_cen_main.htm

Okay, maybe a stupid question, but does the Cancun-Cozumel ferry take only passengers, or does it take cars, as well? We are thinking about renting a car while on our Cozumel vacation to help cut down on the tour costs to see the sites. Most of those sites are on the mainland and if there's no way to get the car across, there's probably no sense in renting the car; we'll take the foot-ferry over then pay for the Tulum and ChitzenItza ruin tours. So, does anyone know if the ferry takes cars, too?

The Playa Del Carmen-Cozumel ferry (which is the ferry that most of this type of discussion centers on) is a passener only. Most people recommend taking this ferry since it is quick (45 min) cheap ($7US) and runs frequently and on schedule.

The car ferry, on the other hand, is expensive, slow and runs on a rather erratic schedule. It goes from a town between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen (I believe Punta Morales or something similar).
\
This trip, I also saw a ferry going from Coz to a point south of Playa Del Carmen and heard that it was a car ferry. Don't know anything about it though.

Rich Hagelin

flannabeck:
Okay, maybe a stupid question, but does the Cancun-Cozumel ferry take only passengers, or does it take cars, as well? We are thinking about renting a car while on our Cozumel vacation to help cut down on the tour costs to see the sites. Most of those sites are on the mainland and if there's no way to get the car across, there's probably no sense in renting the car; we'll take the foot-ferry over then pay for the Tulum and ChitzenItza ruin tours. So, does anyone know if the ferry takes cars, too?

The ferries from Cozumel to Playa are people-only. There are car ferries that hit different points on the mainland and on the island, but they are all very slow and expensive; you're better off just getting a car for the sights on the Yucatan side and another one for a day trip to the "wild side" of Cozumel, and relying on taxis the rest of the time on Cozumel unless you are staying way south and want to spend a significant time in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom