Cozumel travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fly direct to Cancun or sometimes a connection to Cancun. I now also store a complete set of gear at Cozumel Scuba repair. This allows me to jump onto a a flight at my local airport with Frontier and make it to Cancun for $200 roundtrip. This is a backpack only fare, but considering the $55 shuttle and ferry crossing roundtrip I find it much easier and about the same as friends flying into Cozumel. Only I fly much cheaper. I also have Priority Pass with my credit card, so I am eating and drinking free while waiting for flights and connections. I enjoy the ferry crossing, the live music and drinking a few beers to and from the Island get me in the right state of mind for a relaxing journey. My flights usually arrive Cancun by 3pm, so the ferry worry is non existent.

The big difference for me is the flight landing in Coz gets me to my hotel by 1pm ish. If I bag drag its 4-5ish. Since I want to dive the next day, that puts Coz ahead hands down.

Of course, we all have our own perspectives and priorities, and where one is traveling from makes a big difference. I live in Austin, and changing planes in Houston gets me there either at noon (United) or 2:30PM (Southwest), and the added expenses that come with the bag drag cut into what savings there would be in flying into Cancun.
Yes, that's what I meant when I began my comment with "For some of us ...." For people in Houston or with an easy connection in Houston, Houston-Cozumel is an easy decision. For us, even with the shuttle from Cancun to Playa and ferry to Coz, we can get an early morning nonstop to Cancun and still be in Coz at a reasonable hour.

Yes, that's what I meant when I began my comment with "For some of us ...." For people in Houston or with an easy connection in Houston, Houston-Cozumel is an easy decision. For us, even with the shuttle from Cancun to Playa and ferry to Coz, we can get an early morning nonstop to Cancun and still be in Coz at a reasonable hour.
Haven’t been to Cancun in a few years, but I used Cancun Express the last three times I was in Cancun and they were excellent. Clean vehicles, timely, friendly and affordable. If you choose to use the CUN option.

Been doing the direct into CZM from the West Coast thru Dallas or Houston for 20 years. The airport on CZM is easy to navigate with convenient shuttle options anywhere you are staying.

Same. Flying into TX the night before, cheap hotel, and catching morning flight into Cozumel means settling in by noon instead of well into the evening. Traveling from CUN to the island is a PITA

Money is no object, so I always fly into Cozumel. My bag drag days are long gone and with the increased traffic to and from the airport it's not worth the hassle. Now if one is looking to save a couple hundred bucks go for it but to me it's not worth the effort.

Personally, I think the convenience of just flying into COZ is worth the extra money. The taxi to ferry to taxi method just sounds like a pain in the a$$ to me.

Personally, I think the convenience of just flying into COZ is worth the extra money. The taxi to ferry to taxi method just sounds like a pain in the a$$ to me.
Maybe one's opinion also depends how often they visit Coz. I'm an infrequent visitor, and for me, I almost look forward to the shuttle van that has a cold beer waiting for us, and the driver who's happy to let us practice our rusty Spanish on him. Grabbing some tacos in Playa before heading down to the ferry. And the ferry is kinda fun. It feels like a sort of ritual. I'm sure I would feel differently if I were down there several times a year--just wanting to get to my lodging and settle in. For me, though, the journey is part of the experience. I've "dragged" my scuba bags all over the world, and the Cancun-Coz trip is nothing. Now, that Indonesian death-trap ferry I would be happy to avoid next time.

Just another perspective.

I just checked flights into Cancun and if I save any money, it's not worth the effort. Standing in line for the ferry is a pain and with the traffic who knows how long it will take to get to the airport. Last year it was taking people hours to get to Cancun airport and some had to walk to get there.

I also like being able to walk back and forth to the airport when flying into Coz.

Back
Top Bottom