Cozumel Trip in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toofunnie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello! We are a group of 6 coming to Cozumel in October for a week vacation. My husband and I have been there before but the other 2 couples have not. We are staying at the Villa Dos and are all very excited. We plan to snorkel as much as possible and enjoy every minute of our time there. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on car rentals, snorkeling tours we should do and if anyone knew anything about the villa we are renting. Thanks so much in advance for any advice or opinions you may have! Can't wait until October!

First thing I would do is buy the Coz map from Cancun information. Best money you will spend on your vacation.

DW's map link above is a very good suggestion. I do not agree with some of the publisher's opinions on some restaurants, etc but it is a good map & guide.

I do not rent cars there, but Cozumel - Isis Rentadora - Cozumel, Mexico is very popular with members.

I don't snorkel there either but have snorkeled a bit before I got into Scuba and a little since.
I'd suggest buying and taking your own gear, including a snorkel with a drain, mask that fits your head well, full foot fins than fit. I did this for my daughter's family before we went to Florida to swim with manatees and I was impressed at some of the gear we found in a sporting goods store. Scuba stores will carry better quality usually, but - better & pricier than you need.

We actually own our own inflatable snorkel vests. You can find them in scuba stores or online, but your operator might furnish those. Do make sure the screw valve is open so you can inflate if desired and wear properly. You are more buoyant in salt water but safety pays.

I use mask defog from scuba supply but baby shampoo works well. I got my mesh bag and beach shoes at Walmart.

If you own your own vests and gear, you do not need an operator for shore snorkeling, just boat trips - but I think the boat trips are the best there too. I have not snorkeled the parks there tho...?

Walmart carries some inexpensive digital waterproof cameras suitable for shallow depths and cheap waterproof watches.​
Have a good trip. :pilot:

Less-Pay is also a good place to rent from. If you plan on using the car for your entire time there arrange for the vehicle in advance and have them pick you up at the airport.
Chankanaab park is a nice place to spend a day at. Very good snorkeling and plenty to see but the admission is around US $20/person.
A visit to the tequila factory is worth it and of course an afternoon on the east side of the island. Punta Sur is worth the trip, be sure to stop at the lookout tower and see the crocs. And of course shopping and haggling in the main square can be fun too.

Less-Pay is also a good place to rent from. If you plan on using the car for your entire time there arrange for the vehicle in advance and have them pick you up at the airport.
Well, that is the one that I would never rent from there, but with people getting sued for posting bad experiences - I'll have to leave it at that, sorry. I like the rest of your suggestions..
Chankanaab park is a nice place to spend a day at. Very good snorkeling and plenty to see but the admission is around US $20/person.
A visit to the tequila factory is worth it and of course an afternoon on the east side of the island. Punta Sur is worth the trip, be sure to stop at the lookout tower and see the crocs. And of course shopping and haggling in the main square can be fun too.
The east side is aka the Wild Side, not particularly safe for swimming I don't think, but still good to visit.

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with the car rental is that we will need one to fit all 6 of us in and I know there doesn't to be many rental places with the larger cars. What I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good place for us to get one. It would be great if we could get it from the airport or they could pick us up there.

I went through the looking for the big car thing for six. I ended up getting a minivan from Executive car rental. We got a jeep liberty from them before and it was nice. The vans were OK. We turned one in for a check engine light. As for pickup, I walked across the entrance driveway at the airport and did all the PW and then drove over and picked up my people waiting with the luggage. That was easy. They do charge to get six in. I think I could have got 2-3 four person cars for that price. If you look them up, you can get a price online. Then email and ask the same thing. Take whichever is better and PRINT your email or reservation. The online thing did not take any money or CC info. Just reserves it. I couldnt find a cheaper option either time I needed a minivan. I did have a discussion about the van reservation one time as they couldnt find it, but they found me one quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom