Cozumel vs. Cayman for newbie diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spotmeter

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your replies! I'm a very new diver (15 dives after OW certification in Belize 6 mo ago) and have an unexpected opportunity to take a quick 5 day dive trip in the end of March. I'll be going alone. Right now, there are only two places that seem to have reasonable air fares from where I live: the Caymans and Cozumel.

My question is which is better for what I'm looking for. I understand that both have AMAZING diving, so I'm not worried about that. I am a bit more concerned about:

1. Sea-sickness. As long as the boat is underway, I'm fine. As soon as it stops and begins bobbing in 2-4 foot swells or larger, I have 5 minutes to get underwater -- or else :-0 Does either location require you to spend more of time than the other bobbing up and down in unprotected waters? Perhaps intervaling, or taking lots of time to pick up a dive group?

2. Meeting people. I'm a single guy (32), and will be travelling solo. It would be cool if I could meet up with people to dive with and hang with afterwards for dinner/drinks. I'm pretty outgoing and usually make friends, but some places are much more about families and couples than others, or don't really have a scene that encourages meeting new people.

3. General newbieness. I haven't been doing this long, and although I had no problems in Belize with deeper depths (I dove the blue hole), or bouancy control, I realize I'm still learning and very new to all this. Are the dives at one location somewhat better for a person of my experience level?

4. Cost of diving operations. I'll be renting equipment... is there a large difference in what you have to pay to dive the more interesting locations at either place?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

spotmeter:
Thanks in advance for your replies! I'm a very new diver (15 dives after OW certification in Belize 6 mo ago) and have an unexpected opportunity to take a quick 5 day dive trip in the end of March. I'll be going alone. Right now, there are only two places that seem to have reasonable air fares from where I live: the Caymans and Cozumel.

My question is which is better for what I'm looking for. I understand that both have AMAZING diving, so I'm not worried about that. I am a bit more concerned about:

1. Sea-sickness. As long as the boat is underway, I'm fine. As soon as it stops and begins bobbing in 2-4 foot swells or larger, I have 5 minutes to get underwater -- or else :-0 Does either location require you to spend more of time than the other bobbing up and down in unprotected waters? Perhaps intervaling, or taking lots of time to pick up a dive group?

2. Meeting people. I'm a single guy (32), and will be travelling solo. It would be cool if I could meet up with people to dive with and hang with afterwards for dinner/drinks. I'm pretty outgoing and usually make friends, but some places are much more about families and couples than others, or don't really have a scene that encourages meeting new people.

3. General newbieness. I haven't been doing this long, and although I had no problems in Belize with deeper depths (I dove the blue hole), or bouancy control, I realize I'm still learning and very new to all this. Are the dives at one location somewhat better for a person of my experience level?

4. Cost of diving operations. I'll be renting equipment... is there a large difference in what you have to pay to dive the more interesting locations at either place?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there,
I'm a fairly new diver too. I went to Grand Cayman in Dec. and it was awesome. Don't quote me as I've never dove there but I believe Cozumel has some current and mostly drift diving. When I was in Cayman only light current on a few dives. Maybe better for a new diver. As for meeting people Cayman was a pretty happening place. I met quite a few people at Coconut Joes over Yaegermeister and Red Stripe beer! I dove with Fisheye www.fisheye.com and got hooked up with a great buddy for the whole week.
Have fun, be safe....

Just flip a coin. The Cayman's are wee bit prettier and more "exotic", but Cozumel is chock full of happy Americans. If you prefer a "good time" and socializing, pick Cozumel. Conversely, the Cayman's are a better pick for the sightseeing nature tourist.

I appreciate the advice. Currently, I'm leaning towards the Caymans -- something about "strong currents" causes me to immediately envision rough seas... not something my stomach likes.

spotmeter:
I appreciate the advice. Currently, I'm leaning towards the Caymans -- something about "strong currents" causes me to immediately envision rough seas... not something my stomach likes.

One doesn't really have anything to do with the other. As I said in the other post, Cozumel diving is pretty protected, so it's usually calm where as most of the really rough (surface) dives I've been on had little or no current.

James

Cozumel is known as a drift diving destination. A quick descent helps keep the divers together - no problem so long as you can equalize quickly. As others have said, current does not necessarily equate to rough seas.

Grand Cayman has comparatively less current, though it can get strong in certain sites occasionally. Seas on the west side (Seven Mile Beach, and Georgetown) are usually very calm while East End is more choppy. The coral is healthiest on East End.

I have never until now heard of Cozumel referred to as a drift diving destination. It certainly possesses such sites in abundance, but there's plenty of other dive types to do. Just like in the Cayman's. Or Bimini... or take your pick of many Caribbean destinations.

Monotypic dive regions are difficult to find in the Caribbean. That's one reason it's a popular place to go.

You have not mentioned your budget. The Cayman's are almost always more expensive than Cozumel, but not by an absurd amount (just enough to keep the college kids away!). If I had the choice and money was not an issue, I'd go Cayman's. They have a turtle farm and you can order green turtle steaks. Yummy.

Cozumel's pretty much considered by all to be the best "bang for your buck" in the Caribbean.

Thanks Archman. I'm not hurting too bad for money, but my condo *is* hurting for a new kitchen, so I'm not averse to lower prices. I'll do a little research and see what I can turn up in terms of difference between hotel room and diving costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom