Cozumel with Whale Sharks from Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Coz for July. My thought is to fly into Cancun (direct from PHL or EWR), bag drag (using Chief's recommended car and driver), dive Coz for 5-6 days, then do a whale shark snorkeling trip from Cancun before flying home.

I'd like any thoughts folks have about this plan.

I'm not sure it'll be possible to snorkel with the Whale Sharks on the same day we leave Cozumel, so we'll probably need to spend two nights in Cancun. Is there any way to stay 1 night in Cancun and still do a snorkel trip?

Some of the outfits that run to Isla Mujeres seem to be huge cattle car operations with a "booze-cruise" focus. That's not our style, so we're looking for smaller boats with more time snorkeling with the big fish.

Finally, it would be great to get recommendations for lodging in Cancun. Years ago I was in Cancun for a conference and stayed on the Zona Hotelera. We don't want to be way out in the sticks, but I'd be happy to avoid the Zona.

Thanks!
-Don

deleted...

I've stayed in a hotel in Cancun directly across from the ADO bus station. It was about $50 and decent for a night. Convenient to grab a bus to the airport on departure day.

The tours from PDC pick you up about 6am or so and transport you to where boats depart. The two times I've done this I only saw small boats out there. It is strictly regulated and we were only allowed in water 2 at a time per guide. Back then, all boats were operated under the official licensed provider Eco Tours.

You'll be done by 4pm then transported back to PDC. You could schedule this tour the eve of departure day, be transported to marina, do the trip, then tell them you're not going back to PDC but cabbing to your hotel. They shouldn't have an issue with it. Some of the price you pay is for the transport so if you were to book two nights in Cancun, take ADO on your own, you could probably save a few bucks on the trip buying it at the marina. But I imagine another night on the rock is probably better than saving $20.

A few years ago I did the reverse of what you're planning: flew into Cancun, took the bus to downtown Cancun, then taxi'd to the ferry that goes to Isla Mujeres. I'd reserved 3 nights @ a quiet budget place in IM. I changed $$ and got the lay of the land including my toes in the sand that day as well as made my rez with a Whale Shark snorkel tour for the following day. They are all over the port, you can speak to different ops & choose. I did the (incredible) snorkel the next day. On day 3 I could have left, but since I had my nice room & pool I hung around, read my book and relaxed. Then did the transfers in reverse back to the bus station, onto PdC and over to Coz.

PS: If you have your own wet suit gear, you can use that and not the Mae West inflatables they hand out on the boat. I find those impossible to swim in... and yes, you will be swimming ALOT to keep up with the giant creatures.

@JFS You run your trips round trip from Coz, which strikes me as a very long day. Plus I still would need to get back to Cancun for my return flight. Could I use Blue H2O to get to Cancun and do the snorkel trip, but then get dropped off at a hotel afterwards? I'd need a safe place to store my luggage during the boat trip. What time do your boats leave Cancun? I'm wondering if I'd have time to check my luggage (scuba gear) at a hotel before hand.

@ccannon707 I'm intrigued with your idea of doing the Whale Sharks from IM before diving in Cozumel rather than after. I'll need to think that over some more.

I'd much rather do the snorkel at the end of the trip, to give you an extra off-gassing day before flying.

Last summer, I did exactly what you are contemplating. I spent two nights in Cancun because the tours leave early (6:30 or 7:00) and get back late (maybe 4-ish). I didn’t want to be rushing around or pushing the schedule at either end. This is vacation and it’s supposed to be relaxing. Like ReefHound, my preference was to offgas before flying home. It was the right choice for me. I booked through Solo Buceo, but there seemed to be one operator running all the boats. I think ours had 7 or 8 guests. We got in the water 2 at a time. The other boats were doing the same thing. Those seem to be the rules. I got a pretty decent deal at the Westin Cancun Resort & Spa, maybe because it was being renovated at the time. It wasn’t cheap by any means, but for a decent place on the beach, it was pretty reasonable. It is at the far south end of the Zona Hotelera, so you are a long way from everything. I was just lazy and ate my meals at the resort. Considering what the cab to Solo Buceo cost, it was probably a wash, cost-wise, eating there. If you don’t care about the beach, there’s a Courtyard by Marriott near the airport that’s pretty reasonable, but I don’t know if there are restaurants around there. Can’t speak to hotels in town.

@JFS You run your trips round trip from Coz, which strikes me as a very long day. Plus I still would need to get back to Cancun for my return flight. Could I use Blue H2O to get to Cancun and do the snorkel trip, but then get dropped off at a hotel afterwards? I'd need a safe place to store my luggage during the boat trip. What time do your boats leave Cancun? I'm wondering if I'd have time to check my luggage (scuba gear) at a hotel before hand.

@ccannon707 I'm intrigued with your idea of doing the Whale Sharks from IM before diving in Cozumel rather than after. I'll need to think that over some more.

Yes it is a long day from Cozumel but well worth it. Yes we can drop you off at a hotel afterwards from the tour. Your luggage is secured in our van with driver all day. We also pickup guests from Tulum to Cancun for those doing the tour from the mainland.

Blue H2o Cozumel does trips everyday from June 1 to Sept 17. Maximum 10 per boat. The rules are regulated and are followed while out in the whale shark area.

Any wiggle room for discounts for scubaboard members? lol.

Reactions: JFS

Back
Top Bottom