Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Z

Registered
Reaction score
Me and my two Dive buddies are heading down to Cozumel next week.

We are staying at an all-inclusive resort with an on-site dive shop.

Hoping to get some "go to's" and "look out's" type info before the trip. This will be our first time diving there. All my dives thus far have been in nearby Belize. I have gotten hooked because of my experiences in Belize and hope Coz adds fuel to the fire.

Any input from all you vets out there would be great. I have fished for info from this and other forums. Just looking for your thoughts.

Thanks everyone for the all the great discussions so far.

You will love Coz! It's beautiful out there!

There is a fair bit of current in Cozumel, so you will be doing drift diving...which is a lot of fun and pretty care free this time of year. You get to kick back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

My personal experience has been that picking a good dive op is particularly important in Mexico. You don't want to get stuck on a cattle boat out there with a bunch of people, and dive operators that don't care about your well being. I really like Living Underwater. Jeremy, the guy who runs the op, runs a top notch program. He will really cater the dives to you and your buddies experience level. Also, he is one of the few dive ops that use the bigger steel tanks so you can really get a nice amount of bottom time. He is NOT going to be in a hurry to rush you out of the water so he can move on to the next charter.

Also, you may want to look into taking the ferry over to Playa del Carmen and doing a trip to see the Cenotes. It's natural lit cavern kind of diving that is very different than what you have done so far. You should really google "cenotes" and see what I'm talking about...Also, it might spark your interest in doing some tech diving way down the road :) I don't have a recommendation for a dive op for the cenotes, unfortunately...but I'm sure someone else here can recommend one.

Also...while in playa...make sure you hit up La Bodeguita del Medio for some rockin' Mojitos.

Have fun and be safe! :)

Thanks a lot for that. Every little tip helps!

Hi there. There is a whole forum on Cozumel and it's one of the busiest on ScubaBoard. Here's a link: Cozumel

Read the stickies at the top, search for what seems pertinent and the jump into any of the threads that interest you. I'm heading back down in two days (and live there part-time) so drop me a PM if you have any questions you want to ask if you think I can help. I have no commercial interest there and won't try and sell you anything! :D

Hi BZ,

I know that San Pedro isn't the best diving in Belize but it is so much better in Coz.

You said that you were staying at an AI. Take some time and venture into San Miguel for some of your meals. Top on my list is Pescaderia San Carlos. Some of the freshest seafood I have ever eaten. I really wish they were open for dinner. El Foco is a good taco place as is Los Oates.

From my experience, and what I have read here:
I stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel. Really great place and good on site dive op. I think they only had AL80s, but did not ask. Also liked the shore diving which was out front. Really enjoyed the short walk into town.
Stayed at Secrets and dove with Dive With Martin. Good bare bones low price op. They did my check out dives and my first 11 dives as a card holder. Wife and I were very happy.
Have heard that some of the on-site ops are a pain in the butt. Also have heard that some are good. It all depends on what the diver wants.

I have been to Cozumel 4 times now, but don't think I qualify as a "vet". I have stayed at Scuba Club all 4 times, and really enjoy it there. They use AL80`s and have nitrox available. Great shore dive right in front of the resort - especially at night.

All diving will be drift diving. The drift varies from gentle to hold on and enjoy the ride.

One of the must go to`s is the town square of San Miguel on Sunday night. Lots of people dressed in traditional costume, with great music and dancing.

One of the look-out`s is the aggressive vendors. I have had them try to sell me everything from their wares, to dope, to their sister - twice.... If you stay off the main street it is not quite as bad. Sunday is the best time for shopping, as there are no cruise ships in port.

You will enjoy yourself, and the diving. Have a great trip.

Divegoose :)

If you do want to pop over to the main land, either to check out the cenotes or try some sites there, I highly recommend Dive with Natalie and Ivan. Great people, great instructors and great divers. They're based in Akumal and have a website if you Google them.

Coconuts and/or Sr. Iguanas on the east side and Punta Sur on the southern tip. It is an easy swim to snorkel the reef there.
My favorite dive sites are all in Palancar, garden, horseshoe and deep.
Other places to visit would be the Mayan site in the middle of the island (forgot the name) and the tequila factory nearby. A trip to the mainland to dive or even snorkel a cenote is well worth it. A visit to Cichen Itza (Chicken Pizza) is money well spent to (One of the wonders of the world).
Have fun!!!

Seconding cenote dives and Chicken Pizza.. er, Chichen Itza. Angelita Cenote is one of the best dives of my life, though it is pretty deep (30+, meters that is). In Cozumel, try to spent at least 3-4 days diving. The op will switch up the dive sites, so you'll want the maximum number of dives to get all the best places... the Palancars are great.

Back
Top Bottom