Crater Lake Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was talking witha new student today and he mentioned Crater Lake Oregon. He has apparently been there in the past. Is this a place that people can dive?

You can...but it's not worth it from what I've heard. It's a very long, very steep, very rocky walk fully geared-up to the water. All to see......not a whole lot. (I've never attempted the dive myself, but I know a couple of instructors who have...a couple of slips and a whole lot of exertion later, and they relayed the story above...)

Cheers,
Austin

PS- For mountain lake diving in OR, check out Clear Lake...it lives up to its name, it's cold (mid to high 30's, year-round), it's at 3000', and it's deep (a bit over 200' at the deepest point). And there are actually things to see...including remnants of a submerged forest, freshwater amphipods, and some good sized trout.

Like 3-ring said, you can dive Crater Lake, but you have to carry your gear from the parking lot at the rim down to the water. There is a 1500 ft elevation loss getting down to the water. No wheeled devices are allow. The water is quite clear, but there really is little to see. Then after the dive, you have to carry all your stuff back up to the rim. It would really be a lot of work.

Clear Lake is a much easier dive.

Thanks for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom