Creature of Anacapa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy found this creature swimming in the water around 20 feet near Anacapa Island. She did not pick it up, just craddled it for my photo. I know it's not a great photo, but can someone tell me what it is? :confused: Well, sorry. I cannot attach the pic, so now I am doubly confused.

I wish I could attach a picture, but here goes with a verbal description. It's brown (light on the top and darker on the bottom) and about a foot long. It's bumpy like cauliflower or a brain. The shape is roughly triangular and in the front it has two flaps like ears where antennae might be.

Are you familiar with sea hares? Could it be one of these swept into midwater? They usually fall when in the water column so it probably isn't. Get that picture posted. If it were Avalon Bay 25 years ago I might think you were seeing one of the unique brown "sea cucumbers" that visiting boats used to discharge into the harbor.

Dr. Bill

I appreciate the replies to my post. (Can someone tell me where I can learn how to attach a picture? I tried the "Browse" button.) I figured Dr. Bill or some of you other marine biology enthusiasts could tell me what the creature was if you could see it. Yes, it is some kind of sea hare. Dr. Bill, you really know your stuff! Thanks.:thumb:

Finally figured out how to attach, so here's the pic if anyone is interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom