Credit Card for Air Miles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chivas

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a credit card that will earn frequent flyer air miles.
Trying to reduce costs or upgrade flight accomodations to Belize. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Chivas:
Trying to reduce costs or upgrade flight accomodations to Belize. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

There are cards around without annual fees that rebate 1 percent or a bit more of your credit card bill and lots of others which credit you with a mile for each dollar spent but charge an annual fee. If a free domestic ticket means you have to spend $25000 on your credit card plus annual fees to get it, would you rather have $250 in your pocket instead?

I think it depends in large part on where you live and where you want to go. For example, I live near Washington, DC and can usually find round trip domestic fares anywhere in the country for $250 or less and accumulate miles. On the other hand, about a year ago I went to Fiji and happily turned in 50,000 miles to AA for a RT ticket which otherwise would have would have cost me about $1400 - but I had to accept a roundabout routing to get close to the dates I wanted and, of course, I earned no miles on that trip.

Chivas,

To answer your question: I use a Visa card for United Mileage Plus. The card is actually through Bank One / First USA Bank. There is an annual fee on my card.

Bank One / First USA offers credit cards for other airlines also, and some that are not airline specific.

Even though you did not ask, I would suggest that you think about what airline would be the one you would use the most, and seek out a card that works with that airline. Depending upon where you live, or where you fly out of the most, one airline might be better than others for you.

Here is one that I found on the BankOne site that is not airline specific.

http://www.bankone.com/answers/BolAnswersDetail.aspx?top=you&segment=PFS&topic=CreditCards&item=35NF

Also, some offer as much as 15,000 miles to start off the account when you sign up.

Wristshot

Chivas:

I'm assuming your from the USA but then again can't tell....the CDN version is airmiles.ca

I have the CapitalOne mileage card and love it. I accumulate miles at 1% and can cash it in for CASH, gift certificates, or airline tickets. To buy an airline ticket you buy the ticket where ever you want (local agent, airline, expedia, etc.) and then they deduct if from your bill for the appropriate number of miles. Works great. No annual fee.

I also have the Citi-Advantage card that is linked to American Airlines I use for all my company expenses. I earn AA miles that can be used for AA tickets, hotel, or car rental. Annual fee is $35 or $50 (I don't remember).

I like the CapitalOne card better but it works good for me to have one card for business and one for personal. I fly free about half the time. :)

American Express. Your points don't have expiration dates and when you're ready to travel you can tranfer them into almost any airlines FF plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom