Cressi Giotto/Leonardo Replacement Battery and O-Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh - I know this is a little old now, but it's still relevant, as there is not much info online about the Leonardo o-ring replacement size/measurements. I'm wondering how you went with this replacement, because: in my search to replace my own Leonardo o-ring as well, I've found some very small discrepancies in the specs for the #026 o-ring, from the many many diff suppliers.

It seems the the most common specs for the #026 is this:
ID 1-1/4"
CS 1/16"
OD 1-3/8"

BUT, as you have clearly shown in the photo you supplied above, the Danco #026 is this
ID 1-1/16"
CS 1/16
OD 1-3/16"

...a subtle difference, but when it comes to sealing dive gear, surely it has to be spot on, right!?!?!

So, couple of questions then:
1) you said the ebay one "looked" the same, but did you actually measure them by any chance?
2) you also said the Danco one "looks identical" - but again, wondering if you actually measured it, or compared all of them together? There should have been a slight difference in at least one of them, right?
3) and so which one did you end up putting in, or did you use both - and did you check/use them before selling?

I've actually contacted Cressi directly to try and get clarification on exact specs, but no response yet :(

The other thread for this (Cressi Leonardo o-ring?) also quotes the Danco, but once again, also quotes this supplier (McMaster-Carr) which unfortunately has diff specs as well!!!

Any info would be very much appreciated :)

divinh - I know this is a little old now, but it's still relevant, as there is not much info online about the Leonardo o-ring replacement size/measurements. I'm wondering how you went with this replacement, because: in my search to replace my own Leonardo o-ring as well, I've found some very small discrepancies in the specs for the #026 o-ring, from the many many diff suppliers.

It seems the the most common specs for the #026 is this:
ID 1-1/4"
CS 1/16"
OD 1-3/8"

BUT, as you have clearly shown in the photo you supplied above, the Danco #026 is this
ID 1-1/16"
CS 1/16
OD 1-3/16"

...a subtle difference, but when it comes to sealing dive gear, surely it has to be spot on, right!?!?!

So, couple of questions then:
1) you said the ebay one "looked" the same, but did you actually measure them by any chance?
2) you also said the Danco one "looks identical" - but again, wondering if you actually measured it, or compared all of them together? There should have been a slight difference in at least one of them, right?
3) and so which one did you end up putting in, or did you use both - and did you check/use them before selling?

I've actually contacted Cressi directly to try and get clarification on exact specs, but no response yet :(

The other thread for this (Cressi Leonardo o-ring?) also quotes the Danco, but once again, also quotes this supplier (McMaster-Carr) which unfortunately has diff specs as well!!!

Any info would be very much appreciated :)

I didn't actually measure, only visually compared to the one I extracted from the Giotto. They looked identical, which makes me wonder if the two sizes you listed would look visually different or not. I had already installed the one I bought from eBay by the time I bought the Danco.

I haven't sold the Giotto yet and pulled the listing since I didn't think people would be looking during the pandemic.

I can't answer the question about how tolerant dive gear is. Maybe someone else can, especially if things are pretty close.

-----

From the measurements...

CS (cross section) is the same. 1/16"

OD (outer diameter) - ID (inner diameter)
Common Spec you listed 1-3/8" - 1-1/4" = 0.125"
Danco 1-3/16" - 1-1/16" = 0.125"

The Danco, thus, is a slightly smaller o-ring, which I guess would mean it needs to be stretched a bit to fit, but width and height are the same. Then, I guess it depends on the material.

-----

McMaster-Carr 1-1/2" - 1-5/16" = 0.1875"
CS = 3/32", which is greater than 1/16"

Thanks mate :)

Well you compared the original against the ebay one when you installed it and said they looked identical, and if you managed to compare the Danco directly against the original as well (and didn't throw it out beforehand?), and said the same thing, then I think YES, all 3 have been the same, and all 3 have had the smaller spec of ID 1-1/16" (as per the specs written on the Danco packet).

I'd say the ID "difference" of 3/16" (or 0.1875", or 4.7825mm) in the 2 sizes is "not" insignificant...

...actually, now that I've said all that out loud again, I think the difference would VERY EASILY be seen if comparing the 2 o-rings side by side - maybe not so easy if going by memory of seeing both, but side by side, yes. So all I really need to do is to take out my existing o-ring and measure it to see which size it is - any inaccurate measuring I do won't be THAT far off, certainly not 3/16 worth!

RE: STRETCHING
With the 2 sizes, yes I'd also assume either the smaller one would have to stretch (as you said), or, perhaps the larger spec o-ring would actually be too big and not fit at all? Not sure, would prob have to test both, but I don't think I'll go that far.

Well if anyone else happens to have changed, AND used the o-ring size that is ever so slightly "different" to the original, I'd be happy to hear if it worked and that it didn't destroy your computer!!

Cheers :)

I didn't throw away the original o-ring. I kept it for reference. Here it is on top of the Danco, which is still unopened.

IMG_20210521_1509573~2.jpg

You can find that battery pretty much everywhere.
Same for the o-ring...
Hi, can you please tell me what O-ring the Cressi Leonardo uses?

Hi, can you please tell me what O-ring the Cressi Leonardo uses?

Could you skim through the thread until you see post #12?

The Leonardo o ring is a standard size AS568 023 (70 Durometer). 1 1/16"ID X 1 3/16"OD X 1/16"CS Buna-N O-Ring 70 Duro (NBR)

Back
Top Bottom