Crime (article)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting article, but put in perspective when they mention the murder rate in one place being much higher than the U.S. average but comparable to some U.S. cities like Miami and Baltimore. Are you scared to vacation in the Miami area? If you wanted to go to the Miami Zoo, would you be afraid to do so?

Richard.

Well, when you are in Miami, you know where NOT to go, run down places where crime is prevalent. However, as it seems in Bahamas, the crime COMES to you where you hang out as a tourist.

I'm not, we were on Carnival in like 1998 and they warned us of certain areas of Nassau not to walk around in at night since we overnighted there. I doubt it's gotten any better although I think Atlantis probably put some pressure on local authorities to clean up some of the downtown areas since they run a private shuttle to that area for guests.

Based on my work experiences, which includes working some former murder capitals of the U.S. Award winners, I would say a lot of these types of articles need to be taken with a grain of salt. I've walked around Ferguson, MO a couple weeks after the main riots, and I've been in some dilapidated areas of E St Louis. It's always the people afraid to look into a strangers eye and say hi that become a victim.

Im headed to the Bahamas Oct 23 for a couple days and fully plan to hit the local non-touristy areas for some real Bahamian grub after some dives with Stuart's Cove. If I make it back, I'll give a trip report.

It's always the people afraid to look into a strangers eye and say hi that become a victim.

I'm not sure what to make of that. It's like 'Greet me or I'll kill you.' People often learn to avoid eye contact to minimize risk of offending people (with over-the-top freakish appearance, for example) or getting drawn into sales pitches, etc...

Pooling what I'd heard over the years, lowering your risk could be done by staying out of bad neighborhoods, avoid bars, don't go looking for illegal drugs and don't hit on local women (that last was in reference to Roatan, but I imagine it's good advice for watching yourself elsewhere, too). And be especially careful when in secluded areas or out after dark.

Richard.

Just got back. Did 2 days of diving with Stuart Cove. I'll make a separate thread for the diving, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents on what I experienced with the locals. Please take into consideration that I didn't travel around the island extensively; however, I did check a couple local places for some local eats. We stayed at the Melia Nassau and ate supper there every night as it turned out to be very good food. For lunch, I either rode the jitney/public bus or hopped in a cab. I never once had any problems, but again, this was a small sample. I spoke to people on the jitney and they were always helpful. The local hole in the wall establishment was Nesbits just west of Melia. The stew conch was phenomenal and so were the people inside. They we're very friendly and I even forgot my credit card there. Mr Nesbitt flagged down my cab and made sure I had it...(stupid me). The final day we took a power boat day trip to the Exumas. We had some time so I struck up up conversation with a local lady on where I could get some local breakfast food. That led me to a gentleman working the company's shuttles. He took me a couple blocks away to a local food truck. The line was 10 deep and the a guy that worked on the power boat was in line at the counter. I was introduced to him as a passenger on the boat that wanted a Bahama's breakfast. He ordered some stew fish and Johnny cake for me and we headed back to the boat without having to wait in line. Turns out he was the lead guide, Jason. The dude appreciated my desire for local cuisine and culture, he personally took care of me the whole day.

Are you scared to vacation in the Miami area? If you wanted to go to the Miami Zoo, would you be afraid to do so?

I would be if I couldn't carry a firearm. Law abiding folks can't do that in the Bahamas, they can in Miami. Being unable to defend yourself is an important difference imo.

Back
Top Bottom