Critter ID Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

I am leaving early Friday for a trip to your part of the world and am looking for advice on critter ID books that I could buy over there.

I realize one book will not cover everything so I guess I am looking for one to cover invertibrates, one for fish and maybe another for general stuff.

Any suggestions?

As far as your part of the world I guess you mean N. America? I like Petersons Field Guides. I use them for work if I ever need help keying out an organism.

Nope, I meant the Philippines ! Apologies for the confusion.

I second the Reef Fish ID Tropical Pacific book. I also have the version for Florida/Caribbean/Bahamas and like it just as much. Great pics, short and sweet descriptions, and I like how the fish is categorized by shapes. (The shape of the fish is the first thing I think about when describing something for someone to ID.) My bf got it on amazon for $30, free shipping.

Last edited:
Cool, many thanks. A friend here has recommended the same book, so that is what I will look at getting.

Any ideas on invertibrate books?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom