Crocs of Blackbird Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I booked some reward travel to Belize in May and eventually put a deposit down at Blackbird Caye. Now, in the research I was doing on the caye, I saw that they had crocodiles. I first thought "Oh, they have caimans".

I thought about it again a few weeks later and hit google. No, blackbird caye doesn't have caimans, it is a nesting ground for american salt water crocodiles.

So, for anyone who knows:
Where on the caye are the crocs?
Can you go see the crocs safely?
Where is it not safe to swim?

We were there 6 years ago so things may have changed since then.

We were told that swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking in front of the resort was safe during daytime hours but to STAY OUT OF THE WATER at night. One of the resident crocs comes for dinner each night, no kidding.

The dive sites are all nearby but accessible by boat. They schedule a night dive but it is by boat and away from the croc zone.

We loved it when we were there. We were newbie divers at the time and it was a great intro to resort diving. The high season is ending soon and storms will prevail if my memory serves correctly. I think we went in late May and it was perfect!

I just wish I had a decent camera when we were there. It was fabulous diving!!

He/She does come "looking" for dinner as you stated, right near the dock, but they ask that you don't feed them or encourage them in any way. They come very late at night, so I never stayed up to see them first hand, but you can see the imprints in the mornings. Big Crocs!! Great resort, we loved it. Good dive boats and great food. It has to be the most relaxed place I have ever visited. They had just finished the runway while we were there, so now you can fly in. That's on my wish list... To fly myself into BBC and dive.

That whole western Caribbean including Cozumel has them in the mangroves swamps! Cancun has some big biters!

He/She does come "looking" for dinner as you stated, right near the dock, but they ask that you don't feed them or encourage them in any way.

Ahhh. That is a different policy since May 2002. Back then, David the manager (may he RIP), brought dinner out to "Jack".

I like the new policy much better!

Yes, they are sometimes around the dock at night. The diving is no where near the crocs and didn't even enter my mind as a potential danger when we were there. Some folks snorkeled around the dock during the day to see the Red Lipped Batfish and the croc was no where to be seen.

Enjoy.

Something happened to Pirate Dave?

My kids loved watching Jack be fed.

If we are talking about the same man (I do not recall "Pirate Dave" but there were no kids present) he succumbed to an eye disease, possibly cancer.

Ya know, if you went to Blackbird after we did, then that may explain the Pirate Dave monikor. He was to have his eye removed just days after we left the resort so maybe you and your kids knew him with an eye patch.

He was a fun-loving and gregarious guy. Managing BC was a perfect role for him!

Yes, Dave had already had the eye removed when we were there 5 years ago last month. He started referring to himself as Pirate Dave after my 4 year old daughter made a comment about the eye patch. I am sorry to hear that he has passed, he was a really nice guy.

The croc is still there (6/30/2009) and quite a bit bigger than before (2006). At night, beginning around 8:00, it comes right up to the doc and raises its head out of the water. This happens only at night. There is no danger during the day, and nobody is foolish enough to go in the water at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0332 smaller.JPG
    IMG_0332 smaller.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 60
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom