Crotch Strap, trainable equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

So I am having a small debate with one of the instructors I DM for. We have a student that started OW 6 months ago, then winter hit and she wanted to wait till spring to start again. in this time, she lost 45lbs. Now we are having a little issue rising up on her. Her final check out dive is tomorrow, I suggest to the instructor to put on a crotch strap, and move on. He stated that she has never been trained on a crotch strap, and need to be, before he put one on her. I said, she is coming to the shop wo pick the gear up today, tell her about, and move forward. No, No No, she needs to be trained.

Am I that off base in thinking its no big deal? Maybe I just do not remember my OW water nerves anymore.

Thanks,

Rly? She needs a Crotch Strap specialty course? 2 phreakin' phunni! All my students use a crotch strap. It only comes into play during BC R&R. Not much of an issue for anyone.

So, no use of Crotch-Strap without a Cert. Gotta cut them off, wherever you see anybody without the c-card

The instructor thinks she needs training on a crotch strap??? I am struggling to comprehend how the hell you teach someone about a crotch strap!

The only thing it might make slightly harder is equipment removal and replace - which 5 minutes coaching will take care off. Without knowing exactly what BC it is hard to know exactly how it will affect the R&R but with most, once the waist buckle is undone it slides off without any great issues.

The instructor is making a mountain out of a mole hill IMHO.

Well if they have to teach us how to put on a seat belt on every plane ride, I am sure an instructor can turn a crotch strap into a training course, complete with a distinctive specialty.

I am struggling to comprehend how the hell you teach someone about a crotch strap!

First, slide the webbing through the buckle, then close the buckle.

It's really easy to mix those up. Most people need a solid three days with a good instructor to get it right. :rofl3:

You have one uninformed late model instructor who drank the cool aid

When the original SCUBA units aka Aqua Lungs arrived in the US in 1948- over 70 years ago all were equipment with a crouch strap and crouch strap has remained in the SCUBA diver's armentarium as a diving equipment standard for over 70 years. Some divers need it and use a crotch strap - others do not need a crotch strap but their units are equipped with a crotch strap and they use a crouch strap , others such as your uniformed fuzzy faced "instructor" are baffled with this original item of diving equipment and they apparently need additional training to snap and unsnap a modern crouch strap.

What size rock have these "instructors" been hiding under? Must have been a huge boulder

SDM

First, slide the webbing through the buckle, then close the buckle.

It's really easy to mix those up. Most people need a solid three days with a good instructor to get it right. :rofl3:
Ah my mistake. As I am not an instructor, I failed to see how difficult it actually can be...:banghead:

:rofl3:

Must be a PADI instructor. If it isn't in the manual, it doesn't exist. That is what specialty classes are for.

One of the best things I ever found for recreational diving, use a crotch strap. Spend the 30 seconds to TEACH (that is the job of an instructor isn't it?). A few more minutes to adjust it (if it isn't a quick adjust). Get a better student as a result.

Back
Top Bottom