CSI freediving subplot...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My father was telling me about a subplot in the TV show CSI from this week in which two freedivers get narced at 50 feet and shot each other with their spearguns because it was funny. I started to pick it apart but when I got to the narced part (other than the fact that it's not deep enough to be narced) I wasn't sure. I think that I know the answer, but I'm not sure. I would think that there would be no risk of narcosis because they were not breathing compressed air even if they were able to freedive to the depths required to get narced. Am I just way off here?

Hypoxia was the purported cause of the delusional behavior on the CSI Miami episode.

However, at depth the air in a divers lungs is compressed. So the partial pressure of nitrogen will increased accordingly.

I watched that show, it was interesting how they can missrepresent diving and freediving so easily

The uphoria was suposedly a result of hypoxia, which led to one brother killing the other with a knife.

boy wouldn't want to dive with them

Ummm, I thought hypoxia causes shallow water blackout not a narcosis effect, and it's near instant

It's only a stupid TV show, it's only a stupid TV show..........

you are right and wrong

it does cause shallow water black out
it is not instant

i will give you an interesting example

durring freediving competitions the contestants upon surfacing are required to give the OK sign and remove their goggles under their on power and cordination

occational while giving the ok sign and expressing that they feel great after the dive, the contestant will black out right on the surface. the judge watches and say it happens in slow motion without the freediver even knowing it

if the contestant shows any signs of stuttering, the shakes, unable to perform the above task or of course passes out he is disqualified

I like how Kim Delany say how valuable it is having an investigater who could dive 50 ft. to recover the murder weapon. You know, it's almost impossible to find a diver, in Miami, who can dive 50 ft:wink:
And what's up with free diving with the snorkel in your mouth?

I usually like both CSI's but need to repeat after Norcaldiver...it's only a stupid TV show, it's only a stupid TV show.

freedivers use a snorkle for face submersion excersises, then they pass them off and do the dive...that is why he had it in his hand and not attached to his mask

you should try face submusion excersises before a dive and watch your sac/rmv decrease

I did a search for face submersion but didn't find anything that explained what it was.....so fill me in.

when you get in the water and you are all geared up and ready to dive.
take you mask off and lay your face in the water, just float there face down while breath from a snorkle or regulator

the colder the water the more effective this will be.

if you are out of breath from lugging gear you will see an imediat difference in your breathing rate.

it will lower your pulse rate, and your respritory rate, if it is cold water it will also help prevent the mammalia reflex if you should loose your mask or need to take it off under water.

try it for five minutes next time you are going to do a dive, i generaly do it for a minimum of five minutes before a dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom