Curacao gear check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chauncy19

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on a trip to Curacao after having traveled for about 10 years to Bonaire. Maybe I have developed some expectations that don't fit here. I never have my equipment served in advance, if it needs to be serviced its quick and inexpensive to do on Bonaire. Atleast in my experience. So my question is can one do this on Curacao? I am planning on staying at All West Apartments and dive with Ocean Encounters West.
If I need to change my expectations and bring my stuff to LDS so be it. I'll just have to plan it. If I should stay somewhere else I am open to that too. Trip is about a year away so no rush :)
thanks for any information and insight.

Hi Bob,
I think you'll like All West and OE West, stick with your plan. However, I would always service my gear at home if I thought there was even the slightest of chance of any problem. While the dive ops here are great about fixing things, there is always the possibility that THE part you might need might not even be on the island. This comes from a gal with a leaky Dacor inflator hose. Occasionally the shops are busy with divers and classes and might not be able to look at your gear the minute you bring it to them. Why risk losing time and dives when you could have your gear checked during a dry period with your LDS?

Thanks Sunshine for your reply. I am just beginning the planning and remembered that gear servicing is something I've just taken for granted on Bonaire. Might have something to do with being told that it will all be taken care of and it has :). I do carry spare batteries for our dive computers as this is one part that the past has told me can be in short supply even on Bonaire. We both have oasis sherwood regulators and parts if needed have not been an issue. I did dive with a dacor pacer for many years and had no issues with that but was told parts could be an issue so I don't use it any more. Anyway thanks again and will look into having them checked before I go.

I have had a significant reg failure twice on dive trips, both after having regs serviced but not having an opportunity to test them before going on a trip. In both cases the service guy screwed something up. It was silly of me not to test them and I will not do that again. I agree that if something needs service or repair, I would do it before the trip, but you should then find some way to test them before you go.

Also, FWIW, OE West is familiar with Dacor and Scubapro regs if I remember correctly, but if you by chance use something else, like Oceanic or Atomic, they won't have the parts or brand-specific knowledge and you would have to go hunting for what you need.

Curacao is a great place to dive but doesn't have quite the critical mass and variety of dive operations (or divers) as Bonaire. Sherwood seems relatively easy and if you had a problem on Curacao you'd probably have a pretty decent chance of getting it fixed someplace. But I don't think it makes sense to plan on having your regular maintenance done there last minute.

Thanks Damselfish. I just have to get my head around its not Bonaire. That was another great aspect of going to bonaire- needed very little maintenance but if needed was easily available and never lost diving time.
I will now go back to old mode of having gear checked before I go as insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom