Curacao in August - New to DIY Dive Vacations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Wife/dive buddy and I will be planning a trip to Curacao in August for a destination wedding and figured we will spend a week beforehand diving. We are used to staying at dive resorts where accommodation, meals, boat diving and shore diving all happens from the same location and there is no need to venture out on your own or rent a car. From initial research it looks like a dive vacation in Curacao is very DIY:

- Arrange for tanks/gear rental from dive shops in the area and drive out to your shore dive site No need to be “one dive shop” loyal for the duration of the trip
- Car rental is required to drive out to shore dive sites
- Eating out is expensive, buy groceries and make their own meals in the kitchen of your accommodation

Since we are new to this type of vacationing, we are open to any anecdotes, lessons learned, recommendations, etc to help us plan our trip. We are going to be looking to have our “base camp” on the west side of the island, right now looking at Marazul and Allwest (although we are open to anything).
If there is something like a FAQ/sticky for first timers, that would be awesome too!

Uhm no you can make it however you like. You can stay west end (westpundt) and do boat and shore dive with/thru GoWest diving and stay at all west apartments and cook for yourself or go out., Stay at Kura Hulanda Lodge which is right by GoWest and eat there or go out. You can stay closer to town at Sunscape All inclusive and their dives are with Ocean Encounters boat picks you up or walk across street or next door to twin divers or dive bus. there are endless options. We prefer to stay at a resort rent a car for flexibility of dining and day trips.... We dive with Hans Curious2Dive located at (Jan Thiele) every other day. All the dive ops will pick you up at your resort for the most part.

Or stay closer to Willemstad and go with Dive the Bus http://www.thedivebus.com/

I was on Curacao a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the diving. I went full DIY. We rented a small place near Boca Sami, got a rental car, rented tanks from the local show and had a great time driving around the island.

We just returned to from Cur staying in Westpunt. We stayed at Allwest and did our diving with Gowest. Thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend (with caveats) and I have a trip report posted. The caveat to Westpunt is that it is not for everyone. We loved the rustic quiet slow pace of Westpunt but you have to be someone who enjoys that. There is literally no shopping, no shops, no stores, no gas station, no market. There is an adequate supply of good restaurants but expect rustic and local. No AC, no windows, no screens nothing fancy. If you are more a 7mb, grand cayman, shopping, restaurants and lots of other American tourists elbow to elbow type of traveler, Westpunt is not for you.

On lodging, Allwest was convenient functional and affordable. Diving right from Allwest with tanks and gear room on premises. We dove twice at Alice in Wonderland and did drinks and appetizers and lunch at the Kura Hulanda Beach Bar. I was not impressed with what I saw of Kura Hulanda but in fairness I did not stay and only saw part of it. It is convenient if you plan on doing a lot of boat diving with Gowest. The diving at Alice in Wonderland was fantastic and Gowest was excellent.

Did you look at Nos Krusero Apartments? They are across the street from the driveway to Gowest. It would be an easy walk to Gowest dive shop, dock, boats and Alice in Wonderland without having to drive and find parking. Gowest has lockers so you could leave your gear or at least parts of it there. The accommodations looked nice and very reasonably priced. Not waterfront but I believe the upper floors have views. It looked like an interesting option.

If you stay out in Westpunt and rent a place with kitchen, bring some food items from home, have your transfer driver stop either for basics in one of the two town markets on the way out or try to get your driver to stop at the Centrum market closer to the airport and town before heading out. It is 5 minutes out of your way but it is a full sized supermarket and you can get everything you need there if spending a week out in Westpunt. Also, make note and plan on the Westpunt restaurant schedules. Some like Sol Food only open on weekends, others closed Mondays. Also, I would not pay extra for nitrox unless you are doing 4 plus dives a day and plan on diving deep. We signed up for nitrox but when we realized what an effort it would be to get nitrox tanks at Gowest and have to return, we stayed with air which is available at Allwest. Our dive profiles were shallow. The best parts of the reef were in 35-60 and we only hit 70+ feet a couple times. Three to four dives a day were not a problem on air. We did only dive 4 days though. Happy planning and diving!

Stay in Westpunk...at AllWest apartments. Get a rental car/truck option, unlimited nitrox and unlimited shore diving. And sign up for some boat dives with GoWest.

On the apartment side, they have a room with cylinders that you just grab and go as you want.
Grab some, get in rental, find shore dive site.
You can do this as many times per day as you want.

You can also dive right from the apartments over to the dive shop. Hang out for a bit, grab another cylinder, and then dive back to the apartments. That is an awesome dive that you can do slightly differently every time and see different things. Ex: deep from apartments, get shallow towards dive shop.
Deep from dive shop, get shallow towards apartments.
Shallow all the way (much diving style) between apartments and shop (can do 2 hour dive each way).

Use rental vehicle to go shop for groceries or go to Willemstad for dinner/checking out the town.

This will give you boat dives, awesome all you can eat shore dives, nice apartments right next to the beach (although access to beach is via fairly steep stairs), vehicle for accessing town and other shore dives.

And reasonably priced.

Cant go wrong there.

At Marazul or AllWest you will need a car - they're approx. 45mins. from town. Everyone covered the dive operations in the area pretty well except Marazul has an arrangement with a local shop for tanks etc. for their guests to use also - there or elsewhere. It might possibly be the Go West shop at Lodge KH also.

One thing about diving at Marazul - since it's up on a cliff - this is the way down. https://imagesus-ssl.homeaway.com/mda01/b00ca1dc-f145-472f-aa4d-6ad33427e04b.1.10 better than it used to be - IIRC they added the 8 steps almost into the water recently. I've dove near there but not at the site - someone else posted it's not the best in the area - kind of between two better sites.

There's a lot of steps at All West also down to the beach/dive site. And the shop is on the same level as the apts. on the hill. There are other locations on Curacao that are flatter if that's an issue for you. As I think about it, much of west Curacao is elevated above the water - we stayed a few days in Lagun 60' above it - ladder down to get in the bay but we looked at carrying tanks back up and thought - no way. The beach entry/dive site is two blocks south at Playa Lagun. Good dive, there's turtles hanging around as you exit the small cove - fishermen clean their catch there. About 15mins. from Marazul - you'll also pass Playa Jeremi - one of few Curacao dives with no on-site facilities and IIRC Cas Abao is in the same general area - maybe a little farther south past Lagun.

Boat dives from Go West at Lodge Kura Hulanda go to some of the better dives on Curacao - Mushroom Forest, Watamula, Rediho etc. All you need to do is show up with your gear. They practice buddy diving and may want you to do an orientation dive first - usually at the excellent site just off their dock known as either Playa Kalki or Alice in Wonderland - depends who you ask. It's really a great shore dive anyway and their dive dock takes you 50' closer to the reef. We dove it twice - south is just a good dive. North snorkel over the shallows till you're past the condos on the cliff (the Lodge KH condos) and look for flounder. That dive is more vertical in some areas.

The standard suggestion for anyone staying that far out in a condo is to buy groceries in town before you drive out. Centrum Market is about 2 miles south of the airport - go south thru the rotary instead of west to Westpunt and it's about 2-3 stoplights down on the right. They even sell $1 used styro packing crates and IIRC dry-ice for the 45+ min. drive out. Cost-U-Less is also in that area but I'm not as positive about where.

You've got it right that most of the shore dives between Westpunt and Willemstad have on-site faciliities - usually a dive shop, food option etc. Most are also beach entries - if they need a dive dock one has been built by the operator. Most will watch your car if asked, we locked it and kept stuff inside all week. Curacao Tourism often has a guard at Porto Mari watching the parking etc. - a good locals beach plus easy entry and very good double reef dive. Porto Mari Sports is on-site.

Where are your friends getting married? If it's any of the major resorts in town they probably have a shop onsite or affiliated. So that could be another option.

A couple other dive things: the Dive Bus is located near Pierbaai Beach (south Willemstad but pickup most places in town as far north as the Hilton in Piscadera - IDK their south limit. Bas Harts also guides privately in the area. And Goby Divers at the Veneto alao picks up locally - map is on their website. Last but not least, Relaxed Guide Dives offers tank rental packages - they're located just west of the Airport on the main road. Staying out near Westpunt they wouldn't be as convenient but if you stay in town and drive west to dive, you'll go by it every time. We probably did a dozen times in 10 days.

Curacao being a long island you have to be a little selective in dive boat choice - most of the west ops don't go as far east as town and almost none of the town-based ops go as far west as Watamula - or even Musthroom Forest. Check their dive site lists - sometimes it's easier to pick a couple and drive between them - we did. Dove with a now closed operator west and dove east with Ocean Encounters main shop across from the Sea Aquarium. They do the Dolphin Dives if that's of interest but it's + $200 pp. now afaik.

My take on food prices - I bought for 5 at Centrum b4 driving out - it was expensive but not unexpected. I don't remember dining out to be that high - most of the beachfront places are pretty casual. We liked Ribs Factory in Salinja once - prices were the same as a steakhouse here.

The Marriott's beachfront restaurant was a little pricey but you're paying for the table in the sand 40' from the water. There's more affordable options - once we ate breakfast at Denny's in Piscadera. Most lunches in dive affiliated locations were under $10. Two big lobsters, potato etc. was $27 at Surf/Turf on the east side - probably less than Red Lobster. And I'm pretty sure the cooks helper walked down to the beach and got them out of a trap so they were fresh killed.

Last edited:
We have stayed at Allwest, Marazul and Kura Hulanda. I love the diver friendly layout of Allwest with scuba storage area and tanks. No t.v. no pool, but junior suites are spacious, quiet and offer the best sunsets of any place on the island. Marazul also has spacious units, but no tank room or storage area. The pool area was nice to hang out at after diving. These two properties are basic and geared towards the DIY crowd. I enjoyed both places and am hoping to return soon. Kura Hulanda has beautiful grounds and pool area, it definitely has a resort vibe and ambiance. The rooms were okay( it was a few years ago since we stayed there) but for the price point and value, I like staying where there is a separate living room and decent kitchen. My husband is an early riser and I like to sleep in. The layouts of the junior suite at All West and the one bedroom unit at Marazul are a good match for us. Whether you stay at property 1,2 or 3, take comfort in knowing that the dive sites in front of each place are some of the best on the island. So from that point of view-you can't go wrong:)

Thank you all for the responses. We are going to use this information for our research in planning the trip. I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but the wife and I are not really looking forward to cooking our own meals between dives. Is there an accommodation option (other than an all inclusive resort) that has a meal plan option?

There are restaurants in Westpunt and you can find places to eat between dives. We prefer not to eat out every meal because it is a time and money killer. We don't find it difficult to have make a breakfast or lunch. Lunch in could consist of a sandwich or left overs from the night before. We rarely actual cook a breakfast or a lunch, usually something cold and quick. We have cooked simple dinners, for example pasta/pesto/salad that may take 10 mins to prepare. We usually eat out once a day which works well with our dive schedule. You certainly eat out more often or for every meal. You might as well stay at a place with on site restaurant if that is what you prefer, someplace like Kura Hulanda and I think Rancho Sobrino has a restaurant on site.

Back
Top Bottom