Curious About User's Experiences With Mares Aliikai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireDiver443

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After spending a bunch of time looking at different BCDs, my wife decided on a Mares Aliikai which we purchased for her birthday. After 11 dives, an external plastic component that helps secure the integrated weight pouch broke, making it impossible to secure the integrated weight pouch.

The dealer happily exchanged the damaged BCD and off we went.

6 dives into the new BCD and the click-secured integrated pouch containing 10 pounds of hard weight spontaneously dumped after light contact with the ladder getting back on the boat at the end of a drift dive. No problems were experienced with the weights being secured during platform entry or dive and the 10 pounds of weight falls within the 8 - 13 pound guideline marked on the pouch. No damage noted to the BCD, with careful attention paid to the previously noted failure point. It just slid out.

$54 dollars later (because apparently weight pouches are sold in PAIRS, not individually) and she was diving again. That's the monetary equivalent of a two-tank dive.

So far I'm kind of unimpressed with the product and I'm wondering if my experience is atypical or if there are other folks out there dissatisfied with their Mares product.

FireDiver,

Have you had Mares check the bcd itself out?
I know sometimes there is one in every bunch of whatever made that will just be faulty. Is there a chance maybe this is?
I bought a car like that.

I am actually looking for the sizing chart for the Aliilai. As well if the Mares airlock will fit this bcd.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, although we've experienced 2 different problems on 2 Aliikai BCD's, both relating to the MRS+ integrated weight system.

Wow mate not good if it has happened with more then one BCD.

I have no doubt Zak or Phil will be able to help you.

I see Zak's checked my profile since I posted this thread, but as yet he's not commented. Not that I expect there's much he'd be able to do. The BCD that broke after 11 dives was replaced without any issue at all by the dealer. As for the weight pouch that fell out at the end of the dive (that was a head scratcher for my wife & I... it was 'click' secured and re-checked prior to splash), since we wanted to continue diving after it occurred we were kind of stuck. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't purchase a single pouch, but (and REALLY, I'm not flaming Mares here) I figure if it happens again, we have a replacement on hand.

Mares seems to be a respected name out there, and although MY diving equipment choices haven't included their products, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that our experience has been outside the norm. My wife loves the fit & feel of her BCD and overall her experience has been positive. However, after the weight pouch thing on a brand new REPLACEMENT Aliikai, I'd be lying if I said she wasn't looking over the Zeagle Stiletto when we were buying new weight pouches.

Again: 2 new weight pouches = a two-tank (nitrox) dive. Do the math.

The purpose of posting this thread was to solicit other diver's opinions about their Mare's Aliikai BCD and the MRS+ weight system; If other divers have experienced failures. The lack of traffic tells me 1) my experience is an aberrancy, 2) not many folks have purchased an Aliikai, or 3) SB members who check the Mares forum either missed this thread or simply didn't care to comment.

Hi Firediver,

Sorry for not posting sooner, I've been incredibly busy with a huge workload. I am sorry you had two issues with your wifes new bcd. This is very unusual and unfortunately I would chalk it up to bad luck. This bc is a very popular product and we have sold XXX's into the market with very few issues. In addition all of our weight integrated bcds use the same weight pocket system. Not that this helps you, but it is evidence that I would consider your situation relatively isolated. I'm not sure what I can do for you re: the bcd. If it is a warranty issue due to the pocket system, you will be completely covered. As you know I can't discern this over the internet.

Does the new pocket seem to be secure when installed now? Ie: put the pocket in and try pulling without using the red handle. Or pull the red handle, does it release with very little effort? If working properly it should require some effort to remove the pocket, yet not too difficult otherwise it would be challenging to dump the weights in an emergency.

It is true these pockets come in pairs, this is direct from the factory so unfortunately there is not much we can do about this.

I do not feel you are blasting Mares, and I can appreciate your post. While I can't really do anything for you post sale of the pockets. I can offer to send you a couple of Mares ball caps. I know that may sound a little cheesey, but I'm not sure what else we can do. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other concerns.

Sincerely from one RUSH fan to another. Just saw them at the Gorge Amphitheater in WA for the umpteenth time (Love em)!

Zak,

Thanks for the post. Make sure you check out the Colbert Report tonight (7/16) on Comedy Channel. Rush is appearing on live TV for the 1st time since 1975, playing Tom Sawyer. I'll be at the firehouse working, but I've got it DVR'd. I've got 30 shows or so under my belt, the first one being on the Permanent Waves tour a LONG time ago.

I'll shoot you a PM.

FireDiver, I have the Icon, which is as stated in a previous post the men's version and had no issue's on a recent trip to Roatan. The BC was on the floor of a less than ideal boat for many of the dives and I had no issue of the weights coming out. My wife was using a Dragon rental BC from our LDS and again no probs. I have bought her the ALI BC but we haven't picked it up yet. The ICON is without a doubt the most comfortable BC I have ever used and it packs nicely for travel. If possible you may want to have your wife practice dumping in a shallow depth several times where you can retrieve the weights and reset them to make sure there is no flaw and to rebuild confidence in the gear. Ditching weights is a much ignored skill. We do it from time to time by staying shallow and adding a weight belt to hold us at depth and practice ditching. Cheers. J>(fellow firefighter in Ontario)

J,

Thanks for the testimonial and input. While we're still not sure how bumping the ladder while climbing back onto the boat caused the weight pouch to release, but we had no problems with the pouches for the rest of the trip. Overall, she's not lost confidence in the BCD at all and still loves it.

I agree that donning & doffing weight or a weight-integrated BCD is a great drill. It's often fun (and valuable) to perform it as part of other skills (like a mask recovery and clear) and a great confidence builder when you're able to complete it with your eyes closed. But then, I've been told I have weird ideas about what constitutes fun.

Ontario, huh? Ever do any of the Brockville wrecks?

Be safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom