Curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am interested in getting a double hose reg so I've been lurking this forum trying to get some idea of where to go.

That's not why I posted. I keep seeing pics of guys with tanks strapped to their back diving and I have no Idea how you guys do it without a weight belt or bc or anything.

I swear to god I am not trolling I just can't fathom how it's done

could you be more specific? Some bc come weight-integrated so you wouldn't necessarily see the weights. But unless you're diving a hookah system (where there is a pump at the surface pumping the air to you) it's highly unlikely they're diving without any form of bc on.

posting the pictures or links to them might help people understand exactly what you're asking about.

Diving with out a BC is very common and the standard up to about the early 70’s. Many divers still dive without a BC… Sometimes I dive with out one. It is very easy if you are properly weighted.

Diving without a weight belt (or some kinds of weight) is a lot less likely, unless you just happen to be in warm water were you need minimal thermal protection and you just happen to be neutral with the tank and all your gear.

could you be more specific? Some bc come weight-integrated so you wouldn't necessarily see the weights. But unless you're diving a hookah system (where there is a pump at the surface pumping the air to you) it's highly unlikely they're diving without any form of bc on.
posting the pictures or links to them might help people understand exactly what you're asking about.

In the early days of diving there was no such thing as a BC and today there are a lot of us who still do not wear one unless required to do so by a dive op. IF you are diving properly weighted, you are in effect diving with no BC even though you don’t realize it, more on that later. It does require proper weighting, something that has sadly been forgotten with the invent of the BC. Remember, BC stands for buoyancy compensator and is supposed to compensate for shifts in buoyancy during a dive, it is not intended to hold up a bunch of excess weight....although many (most?) divers today use it that way. The buoyancy shift comes from 2 things, wetsuit compression and reduced negative buoyancy due to air being used from the tank. In warm water I rarely wear a compressible wetsuit and the shift in an 80 cf tank is only 4 lbs. Now consider that an average male has about 10 to 12 lbs of total buoyancy control with their lungs, a 4 lb shift easy to deal with. Plus, properly weighted that shift is reduced to 2 lbs, -2 at the beginning of the dive and +2 at the end and dead on neutral at mid pressure. Heavy wetsuits do make it more difficult, requiring a little more technique and there are times, like tech diving, where lots of equipment are necessary that make a BC necessary but at that point it really stops being a BC and becomes a lift bag for equipment that has a secondary use as a BC.
Back to why you should be in effect be diving without a BC even though you are wearing one. If you properly weighted, which IMO is dead on neutral at ½ tank pressure, at the beginning of the dive you should have NO air in your BC, if you do, you are overweighed. No air means the BC is not adding any positive buoyancy. At this point you will be about 2 lbs negative, assuming an 80 cf tank, but this actually helps to you submerge and get some of that trapped air out of your gear. Even though you are slightly overweighed by 2 lbs, it is very easy do deal with using breath control alone. As you dive, you get closer to dead on neutral so there is no need to add air to the BC and finally at the end of the dive you are 2 lbs light, no need add air for that and again a very easy value to deal with using proper breath control. Plus it makes you slightly positive at the surface. Notice no where in that dive did you add air to the BC, so while you are wearing one, since you neither added or removed air in effect you did not have it on. Once you learn proper weighting and breath control you can shed the BC altogether. I do suggest you spend some time getting use to not using it before moving on, just for safety’s sake. This is the technique I suggest to anyone wanting to learn to dive the way Jacque and Mike Nelson did. Try it and you will likely shed the BC whenever possible, the feeling of freedom is hard to describe.

And I should mention, there is no need to do this with a DH reg, it can be done just as easily with a single hose reg. If you are new to both DH regs and no BC diving, I would suggest you spend some time diving as outlined above with your normal single hose reg and BC to get the feel before moving on to removing the BC and then to a DH reg. While I am at it, DH regs do not work well with most modern BCs, they require the tank and reg to be set too high. For DH diving most old back plates works well or a good modern alternative, I like the Zeagle Express tech. It can be adjusted, with a little modification, to allow proper placement of a DH reg and the wing can be easily remove with no tools, allowing you to go from full modern BC to simple old school BP (kinda) in a few seconds. IMO a good investment if you want to move toward BC less diving with a DH reg but need some time to transition or have the need to alternate between modern diving and old school.

Here is a picture ofwhat he is talking about.

Attachments

• No BC needed.jpg
    No BC needed.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 112
I am interested in getting a double hose reg so I've been lurking this forum trying to get some idea of where to go.

That's not why I posted. I keep seeing pics of guys with tanks strapped to their back diving and I have no Idea how you guys do it without a weight belt or bc or anything.

I swear to god I am not trolling I just can't fathom how it's done

Skill.

We were taught this way before such things existed. It is not just BS, we, well, just speak for myself, I can do quite happily without a BC for almost any sort of diving.

We use our lungs as a mini-BC. We weight ourselves carefully using our judgment developed over many dives. We try to use wetsuits made from Rubatex G231 which does not crush or shift buoyancy like the cheap imported stuff so common today.

We SWIM down to crush depth, we SWIM around and then we SWIM back up.

We do not weight per PadI rules, we are slightly positive at the beginning of the dive on the surface, we SWIM down to crush depth we become slightly negative, we are weighted to be neutral at mid tank at depth, we swim around and as our tank is depleted we go slightly positive so that when we hit the J valve and return to the surface we are quite buoyant. The tank is now buoyant, the suit is buoyant and in a surface emergency we can drop a belt and now we are very buoyant. Safety stops are not vintage methodology, they are not mandatory. However, I can hold a stop.

Shore diving uses a safety float or dive board for auxiliary support and flotation.

There have been several threads on this here and in the Basic scuba section.

N

Captain, after hearing how I was about to dive, I had an instructor quitely tell someone that it was not possible to dive that way....what he did not know was the woman standing near him was my wife.....it was great fun to hover around his OW class in my old DH and no BC with buoyancy control he wished he had. Looks like you have mastered the impossible as well. :)

WeekiWacheeMarch2008016a.jpg

Here I am diving Weeki Wachi Spring in Florida. With a steel 72 and no wet suit I am more or less neutral in the water. I use my lungs for a little fine tuning for bouyancy. This is the closest thing to what Cousteau refered to as being a manfish. being totally one with the water.

Diving with out a BC is very common and the standard up to about the early 70’s. Many divers still dive without a BC… Sometimes I dive with out one. It is very easy if you are properly weighted.

Diving without a weight belt (or some kinds of weight) is a lot less likely, unless you just happen to be in warm water were you need minimal thermal protection and you just happen to be neutral with the tank and all your gear.

I have a bunch of old steel tanks, marketed under the name Divequip, from the early '70s. The tanks are heavy, which is why I love them. Without a suit I am slightly negative and perfect with a 3 mil. I do not use additional weights of any kind, even with a 3 mil suit. I've had people on boats stop me to tell me I forgot my weightbelt before I get in the water. The BC I wear rarely, if ever, gets used. But I've seen Captains and DM's litteraly have a conniption when I try to go without one and tell them I don't need it. Just another reason why having your own boat is such a pleasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom