Problem with harness accessories staying put

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That works well when the strap on the accessory is only 1/2 inch like in your pictures. The HOG utility pockets and the weight pockets have about a 2 inch strap. So for your solution to work I would have to cut vertically through the 2 inch strap, burn the edges which might be a good idea. See picture below.

No, you won't have to cut and burn the edges of your pockets mounting straps...just use plastic tri-glides, the larger the better if you can find them (something like this), and use the method outlined in my explanation and pictures. The 2-inch strap on your HOG utility pockets may bunch up a little bit behind the tri-glide but will be inconsequential as it will be fixed in place where you want it, and you will not feel the difference through your exposure suit. If you can find some nice extra large plastic tri-glides, the pocket's webbing probably won't bunch up at all.

I have 4 divers in my household and we all use Dive Rite QB pockets with our backplates and wings....some of the QB pockets are newer and some older, as you noted some of ours have the 1/2-inch webbing on the back and some have 2-inch webbing on the back....we attach them all in the same manner.

Here is a picture of a Dive Rite QB weight pocket with 2-inch webbing on the back, the diagonal piece of webbing, circled in red, is used to orient the pockets in a vertical position on the harness waist belt:
QB pocket.jpg

-Z

No, you won't have to cut and burn the edges of your pockets mounting straps...just use plastic tri-glides, the larger the better if you can find them (something like this), and use the method outlined in my explanation and pictures. The 2-inch strap on your HOG utility pockets may bunch up a little bit behind the tri-glide but will be inconsequential as it will be fixed in place where you want it, and you will not feel the difference through your exposure suit. If you can find some nice extra large plastic tri-glides, the pocket's webbing probably won't bunch up at all.

I have 4 divers in my household and we all use Dive Rite QB pockets with our backplates and wings....some of the QB pockets are newer and some older, as you noted some of ours have the 1/2-inch webbing on the back and some have 2-inch webbing on the back....we attach them all in the same manner.

Here is a picture of a Dive Rite QB weight pocket with 2-inch webbing on the back, the diagonal piece of webbing, circled in red, is used to orient the pockets in a vertical position on the harness waist belt:
View attachment 809495

-Z
I use something like those. I got them from DGX to keep my DGX zipper pocket in one place on my waist belt. @FishWatcher747 , I had the same problem with the metal tri-glides. DGX sells these for 0.50 cents each. Of course, by the time you pay shipping you’ll be better off going with the one that @Zef linked to. Unless, like me, you’re not about to pay shipping, so you buy lots of stuff you don’t need in order to get the free shipping!

Erik

I have a standard 2 inch webbing BPW harness. Not a tech guy and not going to be, just a rec diver. My problem is I use HOG utility pouches, weight pouches on cam straps and such that thread onto the harness. The standard triglides are so low profile that the pouches don't stay put, they can slide right over the triglides.

I am guessing the utility pouches and weight pouch openings are maybe 2 1/4 inches which is fine for threading on a 2 inch webbing but all the triglides I have seen have a height that is no more than 2 1/4 inches.

Any ideas how to solve this?
Rather than using a tri glide you are better off using a weight belt keeper as they are higher profile. Any dive shop should sell them. You an also use an extra buckle.

If you read the description of the link you provided, Randy sells something to keep them from sliding.

So people carry 20 kilograms of equipment on their back then weight and still want to put weights on cam bands

Whose idea was that ha ah ha ha

Just take them off get rid of them and learn how to hold a diving posture

My favorite solution is a bit of bicycle inner tube.
Does the inner tube break after a certain period of time or a number of dives? Do you use a tube from a road bike tire or mountain bike?

There are instances where I have used 2 sliders and a short section of webbing to trap something in place on a belt. It goes in the inside face of the belt outside the loop of the item on the belt if that makes sense...

Does the inner tube break after a certain period of time or a number of dives? Do you use a tube from a road bike tire or mountain bike?
I've put at least 100 dives on mine without issue. Mountain bike tire. (Very likely a bike shop will give you one out of the trash for free.)

I also use them to hold down compact lights clipped to the shoulder d-rings as well as around waist d-rings themselves to make them stick out (but still collapse if needed). Oh, and around the corrugated inflator tube to corral the inflator hose near the shoulder.

Quite a few possibilities, and one tube will last a long time. Only the ones making the waist d-ring stick out have shown any wear, but those are trivial to replace.

Inner tube longevity depends on tube compound, they last long not long and in between

Back
Top Bottom