Current Key West Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was hoping to dive the Vandenberg a couple times in the next week or two.....any comments on current conditions there this time of year??? I see the surface water temps are around 68F, looks like 5mm or 7mm conditions for sure.....what about sea states, I assume the wreck is just outside of the reef.....what are max sea states for reasonable chance of getting to the wreck???

Appreciate any advice/info, especially any shop recommendations for making TWO dives on the Vandenberg vice just one and then shallow reef dive.......

Thanks in advance!!

I'm going to be doing two Vandenberg dives tomorrow morning, booked through Subtropic for $80 including tanks and weights. They have mixed reviews, so I hope it's going to be ok. I'll give a report afterwards.

Anything I should know/bring?

I have:
BCD+Regs+Fins+Snorkel+Mask
Drysuit - not sure if I have enough undergarments though - I didn't bring my hood, didn't think I'd need it?
Safety Sausage
Towel
Camera
C-card, no log book though
Computer

How much to tip people?
Anything else?

I have always had good luck using Lost Reef Adventures. They have both morning and afternoon trips to the VB. Personally, I'd wear a 7 mil or a semi-dry, but I tend to get cold easily. I usually tip the DM $20 for a two-tank trip. Good luck - wish I were going with you!

Mike

There will probably not be a dm in the water. Customary tips have been reported at $5 a tank. Did this with Bonsai diving. Those guys were cool. Thought Southernmostdivers was not a good boat or company. Vandy is a very cool ship lots to see, don't miss the swim thru on the dish. lots of rooms to duck your head into. Only saw saw fish, mostly cuda. Awesome dive, hopefully the current will be manageable.

I use Captains Corner every time.

I regularly take customers there because they are sooo chilled out. I say "we will have scooters and rebreathers and one guy wants to do 2 hours run time" and they say "no problem, whatever"

Other customers who make their own arrangements have come back with horror stories about max 20 minute run times and single dips followed by a snorkel site LOL!

Speak to Lesley or my Buddy Liber "The latin lady lover" and tell them I told you you would be looked after :D

I also hear good things about Innerspace these days. No personal experience though

Peter at Bonsai will do a trip like that. Small six pack boat. Laid back, he usually goes down the first dive, gives a nice tour.

Peter at Bonsai will do a trip like that. Small six pack boat. Laid back, he usually goes down the first dive, gives a nice tour.

Who stays on the boat then? Surely he doesnt have a mate on a six pack???

I'll update my own post.....I'm in Key West now and did two dives on the Vandenberg today.....dove with Captain's Corner; seems like a good ship and crew.....they pretty much let you do your own dive unless you want to hire a guide....I was fortunate to dive with a guy that has made several dives on the wreck already....vis was BAD, about 20 feet, not much current and coldest temp was 69F.....I used a 3/2 full suit with a 3mm hooded vest and was pretty chilled during the second dive, mostly because the surface temp is only about 70F with some wind, so a cold surface interval.
I'm planning on diving the wreck again tomorrow and maybe the next day, it is a great wreck, just hoping for better vis the next few days.....lots of barracuda on the wreck!!

He leaves the boat empty on the Vandy. His son does crew for him sometimes.

OK...more updates on my initial thread.....two more days on the Vandenberg, Captain's corner every day, a great outfit and the boat is the Sea Eagle.....great staff and crew, can't say enough good things about them, esp since they do NOT hassle you about your dive plans....dive guides are available for a fee, might be a good idea....I dove today with one of their DMs since I didn't have a buddy and he had over 80 dives on the wreck, so he knew his way around. Folks, there is a LOT to see on this wreck and without some advice you're going to flail around and miss a lot......vis on day two was better, about 35-40 feet, but back down to 15 feet today, really murky, but still fun....probably like diving in the great lakes, altho they tell me the vis at other times is 100+....water is chilly and the sea was a bit rough, overall not for the faint of heart, but I really enjoyed it........Key West is great, too, lots to do at night, very festive party atmosphere along Duval street...........

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom