Current opinions on Padi Tec-rec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

I want to get at least some basic deco training, mostly with an eye to diving Truk in a couple years and maximizing what I can see and do there.

None of the TDI/SDI instructors I’ve left messages with are calling me back, but a PADI TR instructor has been good about communication. So where I hadn’t been considering PADI before, I am now.

I found a thread from several years ago where the PADI program is spoken of in pretty good terms. Is that still the case going into 2019?

Others may have a different opinion, but I've taken both PADI Tech 40, and TDI AN/DP. I actually found the PADI materials more thorough, but the TDI on-line e-learning was pretty straight forward without much fluff. Tech 40 give you 130', 10 min deco, and 50% O2, and goes up with follow-on tech courses. TDI AN/DP is 100% O2 with AN, then apply that in Deco Procedures. As mentioned time over time, it's all about the instructor so find someone you trust and get along with, assuming they have a good tech background.

If taught well, by someone who actually does tech diving, nearly any agency courses will be fine with a beginning tech diver.

Different agencies emphasise different aspects, but many tech instructors have certs from multiple agencies. the benefit of this is that, having been exposed to different philosophies and techniques, the instructor is often able to combine the best parts of several courses.

For example, my RAID Tech instructors combined several UTD aspects into the training, specifically with team diving (looking after compromised buddies etc) as well as adding in line work which is not part of the RAID courses but is valuable for those looking to go into wreck penetration later (as I am).

The single biggest concern for me with PADI is that you may not be able to get a helium certification as part of a tech course. It CAN be done (Tec 45 and Tec 50 Trimix are a distinctive speciality) but I have found very few instructors who are teaching it. I am NOT saying that all dives below 100' need to have helium but it is definitely very helpful to have the option.

IANTD has a course called Advanced Recreational Trimix which allows some helium for narcosis and 15 minutes of deco, max depth 51m (IIRC) which is a pretty good entry point into tech diving.

RAID has trimix optional on the recreational Deep Diver and then it is part of Deco 40 and Deco 50.

PADI's 50m course has the greatest allowance in terms of deco time and gases carried compared to other courses I am aware of.

You can get deeper cheaper with TDI. By that I mean there's more prerequisite courses to do the PADI Tech 45 than there is for the TDI AN/DP, which also gets you to 45m.

Hi all-

I want to get at least some basic deco training, mostly with an eye to diving Truk in a couple years and maximizing what I can see and do there.

None of the TDI/SDI instructors I’ve left messages with are calling me back, but a PADI TR instructor has been good about communication. So where I hadn’t been considering PADI before, I am now.

I found a thread from several years ago where the PADI program is spoken of in pretty good terms. Is that still the case going into 2019?

The answer may depend on exactly where you are now and where you need to be. Below I assume you have typical AOW level qualifications/experience.

If you don’t dive a twinset already then the TDI AN/DP (pedants might point out that AN/DP is two courses) course isn’t appropriate. You’d need to get proficient doing dives in vaguely the correct kit first. TDI Intro to Tec would help with that.

In the PADI system first part is really just deco training and kit changes, not accelerated deco, so again two courses are required. A significant difference is that in between the two courses you can do deco dives. That allows you to gain experience of actual deco dives at your own pace before being quite so committed. Some people find the idea of not being able to surface needs some getting used to, some people just will not do those dives.

If your problem is with getting called back, I suggest you phone TDI head office and ask for recommendations for active instructors.

If you go with TDI you can combine light trimix(up to 20%) with the AN/DP course.

Hi Jake,

I am by no means a tech diver; however, I have completed a PADI tech 40 course. It was a real dive course. It was comprehensive.

I was able to do the course in slightly modified recreational gear (we necklaced my back-up second stage and hog-looped my primary second stage). My BC has D-rings, so attaching the stage/deco bottle was easy.

My instructor, Rick Rowett, has the ability to teach TDI or PADI. I chose PADI because he already had a class scheduled.

The instructor is more important than the agency (IMHO) for my level (depth) of diving.

markm

I completed my tech training a decade ago through the PADI sequence, up to and including trimix. And, I teach the PADI 40 / 45 / 50 sequence now. So, consider my remarks in that context.

The PADI tech programs are good - as are the tech programs from several other agencies, including TDI. The PADI materials for the Tec 40 / 45 / 50 course sequence are quite good. From what I know of them, the TDI tech course offerings are also good.

A LOT depends on the instructor, as is the case with much dive instruction. I have dove with excellent PADI tech instructors, and at least one awful one. I have dove with some excellent TDI tech instructors, and at least one awful one.

If the PADI instructor is responsive and capable, you would be well-served by the course sequence.

I would want to know who the instructor is/how good he/she is before attending, a lot will depend on that.

I have looked for tech options recently as well, probably will do some type of tech training next year.
Locally it is pretty challenging to arrange GUE courses for example and there seems to be some pretty good IANTD instructors near me so I will probably choose iantd over gue/tdi/padi but we'll see how it goes.
another thing is that I am interested in both deep trimix AND cave but with more open schedule than would be possible with the current gue situation in our country so the iantd would be much easier to arrange I think (local cave instructors available etc).

you will probably learn pretty much the same things on the course whichever agency you choose as long as the instructor is good. it seems to be common for tech divers to "shop for courses from multiple instructors/agencies"

Thanks for the replies so far. Most everyone has mentioned that the value of the course is mostly based on the caliber of the instructor. Besides asking the instructor how much experience they have, how does one determine whether an instructor is any good or not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom