Custom mouthpiece on you donor reg: problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a primary with a seacure. I have a secondary without a sea cure. In case of OOA my primary stays in my mouth. As a matter of fact since I am missing a couple of teeth the sea cure is so locked in place you are not going to yank it out of my mouth without removing my lower jaw.

Seems simple to me. I always have air. The out of air person has a reg almost instantly since the secondary one is in the usual place over the right breast.

The air share is just to calm things down. For the ascent I will probably switch them to the pony if we have not sorted out the problem by then.

Think of how much it would suck if you donated your reg and your buddy
choked on it and it caused a major problem as a result.

Stick with a standard mouthpiece.

I think for recreational dive, once your start share air, you will ascent. The receiver should NOT be on your reg for more than a few minutes. It should be OK. Not sure if you are doing tech or cave, where you may need to share air for much longer, I guess the comfort breathing of both the donner and receiver are important.

Not only is my seacure trimmed shorter, I have trimmed off the tabs that would go on the inside of your teeth.

I think for recreational dive, once your start share air, you will ascent. The receiver should NOT be on your reg for more than a few minutes. It should be OK. Not sure if you are doing tech or cave, where you may need to share air for much longer, I guess the comfort breathing of both the donner and receiver are important.

Have done an air share with other diver who had a reg issues that got taken care of and then back on their own air.

But in general, I agree once you start air share you will start back to the surface. That may not be an immediate ascent. If you have enough air it may mean you go back to the anchor line and then proceed up to the boat. It is much easier going up the anchor line than drifing off on a free ascent, at least for NC diving.

I dive with a Seacure and after I fitted to my mouth, I had my wife try it... It was to long so I trimmed it down so it was comfortable for her! Besides, in a OOA situation you will find out quickly you really don't need the mouth piece in your mouth to breath...

lee

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2014 at 11:19 PM ----------

Have done an air share with other diver who had a reg issues that got taken care of and then back on their own air.

But in general, I agree once you start air share you will start back to the surface. That may not be an immediate ascent. If you have enough air it may mean you go back to the anchor line and then proceed up to the boat. It is much easier going up the anchor line than drifing off on a free ascent, at least for NC diving.

I have never had to share air on any dive here on the NC coast but... I have donated my pony to many times...!!! :wink:

lee

Think of how much it would suck if you donated your reg and your buddy
choked on it and it caused a major problem as a result.

Stick with a standard mouthpiece.

I get you, really I do but my safe second it intended to be donated. If they're gagging on MY primary, the swap may go easier.

As I said, out of many hundreds of dives, I've not even seen an OOA let alone one that wanted my reg. If an OOA comes to me in the future, there's an even slimmer chance that that one rare OOA has the gag reflex due to my trimmed down SeaCure.

Further, my SeaCure is actually lower profile than the mouthpiece that came with my reg when it was new.

I'll ask all future buddies if they suffer from gag reflex problems, OK?

I recently read an article, Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction in Diving, in the winter 2014 issue of Alert Diver, the DAN publication, and I was going to post the same query as the OP.

The final sentence of the article says:

Do not use a customized mouthpiece on an air source that might be handed off to a buddy in an emergency; it may make breathing difficult or be impossible for another diver to use.

I too have a long hose for the primary second stage and a necklaced secondary stage as the alternate. At present, I don't have a need for a customized mouthpiece, but this suggests that if I were to need one (or, more likely, simply want one), I couldn't put one on the primary second stage since donating the primary second stage is the reason for the long hose and donating the necklaced secondary stage is impractical and defeats the purpose of the long hose.

So aside from telling the OOA diver to be grateful for what he or she gets from me, what's the solution if a diver with this kind of set-up wants to use a customized moughpiece?

Last edited:
Trim it, that's the answer. Quite frankly, I believe this whole thing to be a tempest in a teapot.

As I said earlier, my SeaCure mouthpiece is lower profile than the original. It is even lower than any standard replacement mouthpiece.

The OOA recipient's teeth may not fit into the grooves but when not panicked, we aren't supposed to be biting down hard on the mouthpiece anyway.

I can't help but wonder if the authors had ever actually tried a SeaCure that had been trimmed and molded with smooth edges.

I vote for the demons----thingy....Whose to say a 'regular' mouthpiece wouldn't bother an OOA victim that 'needed' a specialized one???......If your buddy in trouble doesn't like the feel of the mouthpiece you give him, tell him to go buddy breath with someone else.....:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom