Cutter's Advanced/DEET/Cactus Juice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_B

Grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've gotten some feedback that the 100% DEET liquid is effective with the sand flies, but not terribly good for your skin as well as being decidedly unfriendly for reef creatures. In addition to the liquid 100% version, it also seems to come in various aerosols and creams in varying "proofs" from 20% and up.

I was all set to go buy the Cactus Juice from someplace, except that I can't find any locally (no shocker there!) and got some feedback that it isn't all that effective for some people.

I've just stumbled across something called Cutter's Advanced (with Picaridin, whatever that is) that is supposed to be more friendly to living creatures -- and also to plastics, of all things. But it is apparently sold only in an aerosol as well.

What's the conventional wisdom on these options? Is one better than the other specifically against sandflies? Aren't I better off avoiding the aerosols entirely when flying?

From my experience it kind of depends where you are going. DEET while highly effective in keeping away the bugs is not exactly wetsuit friendly. (from what I have been told.)

So, while we were in Roatan Cactus juice worked well during the day with the addition of some 50% or more DEET on the legs and feet walking around at night when we were done with diving.

In Belize, Cactus juice was just an appetizer for the little critters and a high percent DEET spray or liquid was required if you didn't want to be eaten alive. (We were on the mainland, not one of the outer cays.)

I haven't tried the Cutter stuff.

You can get Cutters Advanced in a decent sized pump spray for under $20 at Cabela's.
Cutter :: Cutter Advanced

Worked pretty well, I could definitely tell on the days I forgot to re-apply it after diving.

A friend had Avon Skin-so-Soft, slathering it on seemed to work also. But that may've been since they couldn't get through it.

From my experience it kind of depends where you are going.
Yeah, that would help wouldn't it? I'm headed to Roatan... :woot:

I'll hit Cabela's tomorrow to see what they have in stock (too late to order anything).

The percentage of DEET is more of an indicator of how long the material will last or remain on your skin before being sloughed off by sweat, moisture or another applied emollient. 10% DEET is as effective as 100% DEET, for the first few minutes, anyway.

There are people here that will swear by Cactus juice. How very nice for them. :rofl3:

It really all depends on the individual and their body's chemical "off gassing." For some Deet works well, for some it is Cactus Juice, for some Cutters will work, for some they need nothing at all.

My wife rarely gets bit even if she puts on no repellant at all. I can be in the same place and get eaten alive. For me Deet works on the mosquitoes, but does nothing for the No-see-ums. Cutters advanced did absolutely nothing at all for me, I may as well have used water. Cactus Juice works well for me for the no-see-ums, but will leave me wide open for mosquitoes. If you take anti-hystamines for any reason you will be much less likely to be bitten at all, they will not find you attractive.

So, what works best? Anyone who gives you an answer of what will work for you has no clue at all. Try them all and see what works best for you. It's kinda like someone telling you how thick of a wetsuit you will need, if at all. Everyone is different.

Later, Hawk.

well, we are going to be there next week, wooo hoo, taking both Deet and Cactus Juice with us. It will be our first time to Central America and the bug issues, so I will give you a full report on how things work for us. :blinking:

We did have mosquitos at dusk/evenings in Cozumel and Bonaire both and since we took Deet spray and wipes it was never more than a few bites for either of us over the week. Several people in our group in Bonaire didn't use the Deet regularly and were covered with huge bites by the end of the week. Ick. :shakehead: I am not a big fan of Deet as it melts plastic, and burns my skin if too high a %, so I try to avoid using it. We'll see...

robin:D

I've just stumbled across something called Cutter's Advanced (with Picaridin, whatever that is) that is supposed to be more friendly to living creatures -- and also to plastics, of all things. But it is apparently sold only in an aerosol as well.

What's the conventional wisdom on these options? Is one better than the other specifically against sandflies? Aren't I better off avoiding the aerosols entirely when flying?

I have used both Cutter's Advanced and Cactus Juice...both worked for me....

Cactus Juice

some of the resorts sell it...I know that CoCo View has it in their gift shop

So I thought I'd revisit this moldy old thread I started, just in case someone actually uses the :search: function and stumbles across it. :eyebrow:

The 100% Deet did work. But it was stinky, oily (an hour later it was still greasy/messy/oily on the skin) and it wasn't too friendly to my leather Keen's :depressed:, let alone neoprene, the reef, or maybe even my skin. :idk:

The Cactus Juice definitely worked for some people, but after a half hour it was completely ineffective for me. So definitely not a sure thing for everyone (but, as parrotheaddiver said, it is available on site).

The Cutter's Advanced with Picaridin dried quickly, worked for hours, didn't make me smell like a toxic waste dump and didn't cause any problems with my beloved Keen's. I took two small bottles of the liquid spritz/pump spray; one in my room and one for my dive locker. The only thing I'd do different is to bring two of the larger 6 oz. bottles (its not available on site, maybe not even on the entire island). :)

I am heading to Roatan next week, and I have bought an essential oil called Neem Oil. It claims to be an effective insect and mosquito repellent and is used in many traditional indian remedies as an antiseptic / antibacterial agent. It was recommended to me for my 6 mos travelling b/c you can use it for sore throats, brush your teeth with it to kill harmful bacteria in your mouth, cuts, etc. This stuff smells and tastes POTENT, but is 100% natural, pressed from Neem tree nuts. I will post if it is successful in fighting off those little buggers!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom