Cutting a wetsuit with zippers to size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwoolste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I made a mistake... I missed a return window on my new wetsuit that I ordered a size too big. the inseam is about 2 inches too long for practical use without folding it up. I would just cut it to length, problem is, there are zippers on the legs to allow for easy entry. Has anyone ever cut a wetsuit like this to size, or is it common to use a wetsuit with the legs/sleeves rolled or folded over? I used the wetsuit once out of necessity so that probably further hurts any hopes of size exchange (purchased from LeisurePro).

I don’t see a way to cut the zipper without damaging it. Unless you have a master tailor who can replace the zipper affordably.

Two options are sell at a loss and buy the right size or send to a custom wetsuit shop and have them alter (i tecommend JMJ in Torrance CA).

I would be hesitent to buy a wetsuit without trying it on first. Fit is everything.

I made a mistake... I missed a return window on my new wetsuit that I ordered a size too big. the inseam is about 2 inches too long for practical use without folding it up. I would just cut it to length, problem is, there are zippers on the legs to allow for easy entry. Has anyone ever cut a wetsuit like this to size, or is it common to use a wetsuit with the legs/sleeves rolled or folded over? I used the wetsuit once out of necessity so that probably further hurts any hopes of size exchange (purchased from LeisurePro).
If the wet suit is a size too big then surely the problem is not only the length of the legs. How about the other areas especially the chest and underarm? If only 2'' too long then I would just use it given the circumstances.

There is no reason to order a wet suit without trying it first.

There is no reason to order a wet suit without trying it first.
These days, shops can barely get stock to sell, let alone having multiple sizes of wetsuits for customers to try on before buying.

Even pre-plague, it was difficult to find a shop in my area with wetsuits to try on. They might have one or two in the shop, and they was it.

These days, shops can barely get stock to sell, let alone having multiple sizes of wetsuits for customers to try on before buying.

Even pre-plague, it was difficult to find a shop in my area with wetsuits to try on. They might have one or two in the shop, and they was it.
What is the alternative?
Order and then return if it does not fit. Might have to repeat the process several times.
The OP has to use the wrong size brand new wet suit once out of necessity and that will make the return tricky.

What is the alternative?
Order and then return if it does not fit. Might have to repeat the process several times.
The OP has to use the wrong size brand new wet suit once out of necessity and that will make the return tricky.
Order two and then send back the one that doesn’t fit. OP missed the return window. That one is on him.

Order two and then send back the one that doesn’t fit. OP missed the return window. That one is on him.
Even two at different sizes still may not fit! This is my experiences with wet suit and as a warm water diver I had tried so many brands and sizes available locally. Even the same manufacturer will produce different cutting on selected models.
Receiving an order by post and not trying it in the first place and then missing the return window! Careless.

Back
Top Bottom