CZM Transportation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've always been a CUN/ferry visitor but this year I will be flying directly to Cozumel. I understand there are no taxis at the airport, what is the best way to get to the Corpus Christy area? Chedraui is close enough.

I didn't realize that there were no taxi's at the airport. I always picked up my rental car at the airport. This march break I'm renting for Isis and they can't pick us up and take us to the store so if there's no taxi's what's the best solution for me? If I walk out to the main road off airport property will there be taxi's waiting? What should the price be from the airport to Isis, I know it's not that far?

Cheers Matthew

You have one of two options. You can go to the counter in the terminal (about 3rd from the end or so, as you are exiting customs) and buy a seat on one of the minivans. You will pay about $8 US, I think. It will not leave until it is full. Or, if you are travelling fairly light, you can hike out of the airport onto the airport road and flag down a taxi. That will cost you about $2-3 US. You might get some grief from taxis going by. We have. Too bad. So sad. They think they run the joint.

I'm with MMM. Haul your luggage (I assume we all have wheels these days) past all of the helpful people, into the parking lot, out of the airport on to the road. Taxi in no time. Last week, it cost me 30 pesos to get home (just east of the Corpus Christie area).

-kari

I've always been a CUN/ferry visitor but this year I will be flying directly to Cozumel. I understand there are no taxis at the airport, what is the best way to get to the Corpus Christy area? Chedraui is close enough.

To answer your question directly there are two official transportation ways of getting out of the airport for tourists. One, use the airport shuttles or two, rent a car at the airport.

Since you mention you are flying into CZM for the first time I will add the following information. Upon arriving to CZM, make it through customs, pick up your luggage, put it in the screening machines, play red light green light, then all you have left is to pass through the magic sliding glass doors and get transportation out of the airport. This is where it can get tricky.

#1 Once you pass through the magic sliding glass doors, you will find timeshare people there in full force. They are more than happy to get you to their desks after asking if you "Need transportation". If you really want to use precious vacation time immediatly upon your arrival then by all means go for it ! Unsuspecting tourists will say "Yes, I do need transportation" and then follow the salesmen to the timeshare desks.

OR...
#2 As soon as you pass through the magic sliding doors after playing red light/green light, IGNORE the timeshare folks and their offers and make a direct FAR Right DIAGONAL beeline to the TICKET booth. Do not say to the salespeople "Yes, I do need transportation" and follow them. Just put your hand up as say "NO" keep walking. You may have to say it more than once, just be firm. Once you are at the ticket booth, there you will find a very nice young lady sitting behind the window who will issue your taxi ticket. Just tell her where you are going , she tells you how much and gives you your ticket. If there is more dialogue than this, then you are most likely at a timeshare desk. Then, once you have paid your ticket walk outside to the waiting shuttle vans. You most likely will be walking back through the timeshare gauntlet, just put your hand up with firm "No's" and you will be OK. You do not need any help from the timeshare people. Once you get to the folks outside they will ask you where you are going. Tell them the hotel/address and they will direct you to the van. It usually does not take very long to fill up a van. The most I have ever waited is about 10 min's. The shuttle will usually make a few stops on the way, but no worries, it goes quickly. Just watch your luggage as it is taken off the van. Not that anything shady is happening, but on occasion the luggage gets mixed up and another passenger takes it along with them. The fare to Corpus Christie area should be approx. $5.00 USD. The ticket counter takes USD or Peso.

OR....
#3 Walk off the airport and find a cab. Yes, this can be done, technically not suppose to be, but it can be done never the less. But it is a gamble of getting a taxi. I have seen folks walking off the airport grounds and pick up a cab immediately and then again I have also seen folks wait the entire time we are loading up our shuttle and then are still standing there as we drive away down the street. If you are traveling alone you will save around $2.00 If you have 2 or 4 people then the savings is more as you won't be paying the approximate $4 - $5.00 each but maybe $3.00 per cab. This way is OK..however, think about how much luggage there is, what the climate is like and if it is something you don't mind starting your vacation off with. Overall, whatever floats your boat !!! Have a Great Time !!

Last edited:
Did shared van prices go up? Cost to Centro was 47 pesos per person in August, which was the last time I flew in. Cab fare from Ave. 65 to Rentadora ISIS is 25 pesos max. From 65 Norte to a Corpus address would be 30-40.

Did shared van prices go up? Cost to Centro was 47 pesos per person in August, which was the last time I flew in. Cab fare from Ave. 65 to Rentadora ISIS is 25 pesos max. From 65 Norte to a Corpus address would be 30-40.

I have been staying further South and to there it is $8.00 USD. You are correct.Thanks for pointing it out.

OR....
#3 Walk off the airport and find a cab. Yes, this can be done, technically not suppose to be, but it can be done never the less. But it is a gamble of getting a taxi. I have seen folks walking off the airport grounds and pick up a cab immediately and then again I have also seen folks wait the entire time we are loading up our shuttle and then are still standing there as we drive away down the street. If you are traveling alone you will save around $2.00 If you have 2 or 4 people then the savings is more as you won't be paying the approximate $4 - $5.00 each but maybe $3.00 per cab. This way is OK..however, think about how much luggage there is, what the climate is like and if it is something you don't mind starting your vacation off with. Overall, whatever floats your boat !!! Have a Great Time !!

This option isn't too bad when the weather is fair and you catch a taxi quickly. On the other hand, if it's summer and very hot & humid, is it really worth getting everyone hot and sticky to save a few $$'s when you could have paid a little more and waited a few minutes in an air conditioned van? By the time you get to this point everyone has already had a long, and usually stressful, travel day so choose wisely.

To Manta Man I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Matthew

I knew about the taxi laws or lack of as they seem to own the Island. The same with the rental folks as they are also not allowed to pick up or drop off at the airport.
Thanks for the info about the window lady and getting past the time share people. The same sales persons are at the Cancun airport and getting past them is no problem for me. We travel light as we are able to leave most items at the house so we will walk the short distance to the road and hail from there. I know the airport facility as I have picked up guests before and I enjoy the sun and heat after leaving the below zero temps of Alaska.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom