D/R STA Will Not Fit My Venture Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree.

Like you said, it'll pinch the wing otherwise.

-Mitch

The one in my picture is a newer 40 lb. wing. I'm not sure which version the OP has, or how different ones Dive Rite made.

-Mitch

Hi,

Is it possible for you to give us a call and help us better understand the issue. I see the pics and we agree that you shouldn't have to alter our product aftermarket, so we want to help resolve this. What is confusing our team is that we haven't been made aware of this before so we're having a hard time replicating / solving the issue.

I see the issue when the STA is laid on top of the wing, but I don't see the issue when it is on a tank. Let's get to the bottom of this so you can go diving!

Thanks,
Kathleen

PS: Mike and Geoffrey will be in the office tomorrow and are excellent resources. They are aware of your post. 386-752-1087

Kathleen,

That positive attitude from your company is why I sold my "S" regs and bought three Dive Rite regulators.:cheers:

Let's get to the bottom of this so you can go diving!

Thanks,
Kathleen

Kathleen,

I just jumped on here and saw your post. It's 4:30pm here on the west coast and I know you are on gator time. I will call in the am. and I'm confident we can work through it.

Thanks for not just assuming we would figure it out on our own!

After my discussion with your folks I will post the outcome here for others or you may have the honors if we have stumbled upon a QC issue.

Concur-let's go diving!!

Paul

For what it's worth, I also have a Dive Rite 40-lbs Venture wing and it fits just fine with the STA too.
If it's not too much trouble could you please post the length of your STA and the length, vertically, of the inside portion of the donut of your Venture 30 lb wing?

that would help us out.

Thanks in advance.

FYI: my D/R STA is 15" long and my wing center "STA mounting area" is only 14" long. The STA encroaches pretty far up on the outside body of the wing with a formidable pinch potential.

As a side bar: do you prefer the 30lb Venture or the 40LB Venture when diving tropical?

I prefer 30 lbs. for tropical diving. This typically means aluminum 80's, and a 3mm or less wetsuit. 30 lbs. is more than enough lift.

-Mitch

If it's not too much trouble could you please post the length of your STA and the length, vertically, of the inside portion of the donut of your Venture 30 lb wing?

that would help us out.

Thanks in advance.

FYI: my D/R STA is 15" long and my wing center "STA mounting area" is only 14" long. The STA encroaches pretty far up on the outside body of the wing with a formidable pinch potential.

As a side bar: do you prefer the 30lb Venture or the 40LB Venture when diving tropical?

I knew you were going to ask that. Unfortunately I can't help ya. My Dive Rite BPW setup is in California and I'm in Idaho. I have my Transpac with me but that doesn't help you any.

I have the old 30-lbs Venture, the old 40-lbs Venture and the newish 40-lbs Venture 360. The old 40-lbs Venture came with my Transpac which I bought first, the 360 came with the BPW and Transplate harness. Then I found an LDS that had old stock 30-lbs Venture wing. I switched & swapped all these things out between the Transpac and Transplate to make sure that they all fit & worked. The BPW and STA (or SMP as in Dive Rite parlance) were bought in January of 2009. I don't know if DR had changed the dimensions since then or even before then.

As far as tropical diving goes, I have yet to do any so I can't tell. However, for temperate diving in California, I noticed that the 30-pounder vents easier than the 40-pounder. Can't really tell the difference in performance (i.e. more or less drag, affects the trim differently, etc.) other than easier venting with the 30-pounder.

I do use the 40-pounder when I go scallop/snails harvesting because these bad boys are heavy as heck and I don't want to carry a lift bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom