D300 w/18-200VR cheap & reputable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Nice find.... I would have kicked myself if I did not have to trade in all my Sony Alpha stuff and Konica Lenses at Adorama to get mine....

Out of curiosity, was the Sony Alpha unacceptable? I know the UW world is no well populated by sony dslr cameras...

The Alpha was a great camera. Some of the Konica Minolta lenses I had were tack sharp... Easy to use and a great wy to get into DSLR use. However, the limited choices for housings and the technological leap the Nikon D300 made, convinced me to switch outright.....

If I recall correctly, the housing for the A700 was an Ikelite. Anything against that particular brand? I am considering it for the D300. If you housed your D300 in something else, mind me asking why you chose it over the cheaper Ikelite? (I know one gets what they pay for, but I am also a bit new to the very expensive world of UW photography - Seems like all housings keep camera dry and its prohibitively expensive to do so with an aluminum case, particularly if you want TTL flash.

Hi Davidscubadiver:

Here is one take on housings. My dive buddy has an Ikelite housing and I have an aluminium Subal housing. They both work fine. They both handle TTL fine (we both use twin Ikelite 125 strobes).

The Subal is smaller and ergonomically a bit better. It also is more expensive. For me the size difference was worth the price because I travel quite a bit. But they both work well.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Yeah... but that's $2149 at Costco. for D300, lens(18-200vr), and 2gb CF card.

Adorama has the D300 for $2239 (after rebate) with 18-200vr (and no free 2gb CF card)

Beach Camera has the D300 at $2239 with 18-200vr, and free 2gb CF card.

So the Costco deal is a better deal.

Of course you have to pay sales tax at your local Costco, and not at the online retailers. Where I live that would be $182 in local state/city/county sales taxes. (so $2149+182=$2331). Still cheaper to buy online. I'm not sure how Costco charges tax on online orders.

maybe someone with a Costo account can check. it won't let me in checkout w/o a membership number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom