D5 or Teric - convince me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider also Ratio's iDive color and the new A2 from SP.

The A2. Ha! They're marketing it as a computer for advanced and technical divers. But, it only allows an FO2 from 21 and up. For technical divers... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I guess ScubaPro tech divers don't dive below 150'/45m??

ScubaPro makes some good gear. But, I would not even think about buying a SP computer over a Teric.

The A2. Ha! They're marketing it as a computer for advanced and technical divers. But, it only allows an FO2 from 21 and up. For technical divers... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I guess ScubaPro tech divers don't dive below 150'/45m??

ScubaPro makes some good gear. But, I would not even think about buying a SP computer over a Teric.

You are talking about the A1, I am talking about the A2!! They look the same from a distance but the A2 is the newer one made to handle technical diving, Multi-gas, AI with multi-transmitter capability, SM, He, etc.

I am talking about the A2!!
Are you sure about that?

This is what the A2 manual says about F02. Looks like no hypoxic capabilities to me.

upload_2020-5-1_16-1-33.png

Edit: NM, they have the hypoxic buried elsewhere, but only as a side note.

upload_2020-5-1_16-4-16.png

My 2c as both a Suunto and Shearwater user (Eon Steel and Perdix AI)

Main difference between Teric and D5 is cost, and the difference is significant.

The Teric does have a clearer screen. But the D5 is more customisable

Fused RGBM2 apparently has some improvements on the Old Fused RGBM as use on my Eon. But I know from many 100's of dives that Buhlmann and fused RGBM are almost identical in their NDL and Deco stop times (p-2 and 45/95) is teh sweet spot I've found)

I personally prefer the Suunto way of screen customisation where you have different pages set you your needs that make certain data more prominent on different pages - depending on you needs at different stages of the dive

Both Suunto and Shearwater have their good points and bad points but IMO from a functionality standpoint both equal

In US certainly Shearwater has good customer service reputation, those advantages are reduced outside US/Can. My Eon had a depth sensor go south, it was fixed at my local dealer within a week, I know 4 other Eon users that have computers of similar age, and similar usage that haven't had an issue

Some minor details between them such as charging etc might swing you one way or the other

My dives are to a max of 50m , generally around the 60 min mark, we dive in blue water on DPV the profiles might seem aggressive to some, but neither computers have cause me issues (no lock outs on suunto) and although on balance from usage I prefer my Suunto over the Perdix thats down to personal preferences rather that a technical detail weighting the decision

The Teric does have a clearer screen.

While the Teric has a lovely screen I am not sure this is really true. The D5 and Garmin both have transflective screens. These work both by having a backlight and by altering the colour of light that falls of the display. This means that they are still good in bright sunlight. Not as pretty as a pure backlit screen in a dark room or a bright backlit screen in shade, but effective.

While Shearwater have done a great job selling the Teric I am not a fan. I prefer the format of my Perdix. If I wanted to spend the money on a ‘watch’ I’d want it to measure my bicycle rides, count my steps and so forth. Shearwater will never be able to compete with Garmin doing that.

Here the D5 is half the price of a Teric. It does everything anyone could want from a dive computer except Helium and CCR. If it did Helium I would be slightly tempted to buy one as a OC backup but really I’d rather blow that money on the Garmin. Since I don’t REALLY need either I will wait until totally overtaken by the need for a new toy,

I know I am a broken record, but unless your name is Stuart a particular dive computer does not bring bliss to your dives. They are all pretty much equivalent, especially so for newer divers.

My 2c as both a Suunto and Shearwater user (Eon Steel and Perdix AI)

Main difference between Teric and D5 is cost, and the difference is significant.

The Teric does have a clearer screen. But the D5 is more customisable

Fused RGBM2 apparently has some improvements on the Old Fused RGBM as use on my Eon. But I know from many 100's of dives that Buhlmann and fused RGBM are almost identical in their NDL and Deco stop times (p-2 and 45/95) is teh sweet spot I've found)

I personally prefer the Suunto way of screen customisation where you have different pages set you your needs that make certain data more prominent on different pages - depending on you needs at different stages of the dive

Both Suunto and Shearwater have their good points and bad points but IMO from a functionality standpoint both equal

In US certainly Shearwater has good customer service reputation, those advantages are reduced outside US/Can. My Eon had a depth sensor go south, it was fixed at my local dealer within a week, I know 4 other Eon users that have computers of similar age, and similar usage that haven't had an issue

Some minor details between them such as charging etc might swing you one way or the other

My dives are to a max of 50m , generally around the 60 min mark, we dive in blue water on DPV the profiles might seem aggressive to some, but neither computers have cause me issues (no lock outs on suunto) and although on balance from usage I prefer my Suunto over the Perdix thats down to personal preferences rather that a technical detail weighting the decision

I wonder if perhaps you are comparing the Eon Steel to the Teric rather than the D5. The D5 is significantly less capable than the Teric. The Depth Rating of the D5 is 100M vice 200M for the Teric, the Teric supports Trimix, wheras the D5 only supports nitrox, the teric can use up to 5 gasses on one dive, the d5 only 3 (the Eon core can do 10), The teric can be used for Closed Circuit bailout, the D5 cannot. In short the Teric is a fully functional technical diving computer, the D5 is aimed at the recreational market.

I'm not panning the D5, as I said earlier it is probably a good computer for the recreational diver. If you are only interested in recreational diving it is worth considering the D5 to save some money, but if you want a tech computer the D5 is not the right tool for the job.

but if you want a tech computer the D5 is not the right tool for the job.

While I understand your perspective, I feel that Depth rating beyond 100m, He and CCR capability is very niche, and those people making such dives have a different and specific requirements outside teh scope of this thread

In "my world" Tech is not defined by a depth more as you get into different gasses. for the most part (unless you want or need He) both computers will perform well

If the OP wasn't in the US and wasn't set on a watch type format then I'd be throwing in OSTC as a brand to consider, But given the context I thought it better to concentrate on what was appropriate.

As an example my Eon Steel has He and CCR, and its unlikely I'll ever use those functions, but it was purchased because (at that time) there was no other computer that matched my requirements and desired functionality. At the time having AI was a deciding factor (Perdix AI hadn't been released). I've since moved on and I'm ambivalent to AI - I like havign it, but I don't have it on my SM rig and it doesn't bother me

Others might feel differently, hence a lot of the decision making has to come down to personal preferences which may differ from person to person. For 95% of divers both computers are equally capable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom