D9 Battery change "How To"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep actually i had removed the metallic lid at home to manage some cleaning.

I've tried to put the d9 underwater and checked back the membrane, everything seems ok. :)

I changed D9 battery. But D9 is not available. Someone told me that after change battery must perform reset process. Can you tell me D9 reset process ?

The D9 requires NO reset after changing the battery. If the computer does not come on after closing the lid and screwing back the retaining ring, you could have installed the battery upside down, one of the contacts is deffective or, happens often, the battery was not in good conditions. At any rate, you have to have your computer open and checked. Provide feedback.

Hello

A year has passed now since I changed my D9 suunto battery following the valuable information provided here. A few weeks ago, however, during a diving holiday, my computer went blank and, when checking the lid, I could see that it was so loose that you could unscrew it with a hand with no effort. Water had come inside and the back of the lid was quite black. I cleaned everything carefully and left it open to dry and, fortunately, it's working again. The strange thing about it is that I've realized (now that I check it after every dive) that it tends to unscrew a few milimeters on its own on some occasions no matter how tight I fit it. I find almost unbelievable that such a thing can happen, and now I have to travel with my spanner to tighten it when I see that it has moved. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Hello

A year has passed now since I changed my D9 suunto battery following the valuable information provided here. A few weeks ago, however, during a diving holiday, my computer went blank and, when checking the lid, I could see that it was so loose that you could unscrew it with a hand with no effort. Water had come inside and the back of the lid was quite black. I cleaned everything carefully and left it open to dry and, fortunately, it's working again. The strange thing about it is that I've realized (now that I check it after every dive) that it tends to unscrew a few milimeters on its own on some occasions no matter how tight I fit it. I find almost unbelievable that such a thing can happen, and now I have to travel with my spanner to tighten it when I see that it has moved. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I do not think your doing anything wrong. The same thing happened to a D9 of one client of mine. Six months (and 15 dives) after I replaced the battery on his D9, the computer flooded. As in your case, I noticed that the retaining ring was a bit loose (in spite that when I performed the job, I had closed it really tight and put it in the pressure chamber to 60 meters without any problem). After reading your post I tend to think that is another Suunto design flaw. By the way, remove the black rubber membrane below the battery so you can visually inspect the guts of the D9 to guarantee no water remains inside. What you can do to avoid carrying the wrench to every dive is to put a drop of nail laquer of paint between the ring and the case. If the seal breaks, you´ll know the dancing ring started to move again.

Do you mean women's nail polish?

Yes, that´s what I mean. Is thick, dries up really fast and will not come out easily even with water. In adition, usually comes in red which makes it very visible.

I forgot to check and it flooded forthe secondtime. This time it seems it won't start working again. It indicates lo battery and after a while the numbers start to fade. Bu tin my previous experience this proved not to be the case so I'm not hoping it will work with a new battery I'm in a Safari in the RedSee and I still have 25 more dives to do.

I forgot to check and it flooded forthe secondtime. This time it seems it won't start working again. It indicates lo battery and after a while the numbers start to fade. Bu tin my previous experience this proved not to be the case so I'm not hoping it will work with a new battery I'm in a Safari in the RedSee and I still have 25 more dives to do.

Definitively, you are not closing properly the back lid ont the D9, or the O ring you are using has a crack or, simply, needs replacement. If the numbers are fading it means water got into the module. I recommend oppening it up, removing the battery at once and -extremely carefully- the module, blow dry air around it and let everything you dissasembled to dry in the shade for a couple days. Washing it with distilled water to remove salt deposits before putting to dry would be a good idea. Do not even try to reassemble the computer until you get a new O ring for the back lid. In the mean time, rent a computer to finish your safari. Good luck and report back how the story ended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom