D9 Battery change "How To"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Changed my battery last night (it died right on cue, 3 weeks before my trip to Truk Lagoon. No Suunto service stores in this part of the world). Followed Brett's instructions and it went perfectly, although I bottled it on removing the old o-ring and just left it in place.

For the record, the old battery lasted 25 months and 124 dives.

Thanks a million Brett!

OK guys. In front of me I have an original D9 O ring (taken from a computer I´m replacing the battery) and, also, an original, brand new in this case, Stinger O ring (purchased from the fellow in Germany that sells the tool to open the Stinger).
After measuring them over and over with my caliper, here are the answers many of you have been waiting:

Stinger O ring (in mm) ID = 39,5; cross section = 1mm

D9 O ring (in mm) ID= 37,5; cross section= 1,2 mm.

However, getting the sizes was the easy part because I can find nobody selling those sizes. Closest I found was a company In UK Rubber Flooring, O-Rings, Rubber Matting, Mounts, Rubber Matting, Stable Mats, Sheeting, Rubber mats, Buffers, Cords, Anti-Vibration Pads, one stop shop for Product from Polymax , that sells the same ID sizes of O rings (37,5 and 39,5).... but with 1,5 mm cross section.

Hope somebody can tell us where to get those akward O ring sizes.

OK guys. In front of me I have an original D9 O ring (taken from a computer I´m replacing the battery) and, also, an original, brand new in this case, Stinger O ring (purchased from the fellow in Germany that sells the tool to open the Stinger).
After measuring them over and over with my caliper, here are the answers many of you have been waiting:

Stinger O ring (in mm) ID = 39,5; cross section = 1mm

D9 O ring (in mm) ID= 37,5; cross section= 1,2 mm.

However, getting the sizes was the easy part because I can find nobody selling those sizes. Closest I found was a company In UK Rubber Flooring, O-Rings, Rubber Matting, Mounts, Rubber Matting, Stable Mats, Sheeting, Rubber mats, Buffers, Cords, Anti-Vibration Pads, one stop shop for Product from Polymax , that sells the same ID sizes of O rings (37,5 and 39,5).... but with 1,5 mm cross section.

Hope somebody can tell us where to get those akward O ring sizes.

I get mine from Battastic on ebay....hope this helps.

Yes I know that you can get the D9 kit from a seller on ebay. It will cost you around US$ 10 + shipping. If you need to replace the O ring on your own battery, that would be OK. However, if you provide the service of battery replacement and pressure testing, it would be nice to buy them directly by the dozen from an O ring manufacturer and pay around US$ 0,50 for each of them. As I do for the O rings for the Gekkos and Vypers.

Hi everybody, i'm a suunto d9 user from italy.

I've found this great topic on this marvelous forum and i would like to ask a question.

I was cleaning up a little bit my d9 where the buttons are located, and find out on the left part a strange membrane full of sand. I've tried to clean it with some peroxide(h2o2) but this membrane seems like liquefied now. I've only touched for less than one second, do you think my suunto is rubbish now? :(

Regards.

edit:

here's some photos:

http://img832.imageshack.us/g/img1410r.jpg/

If it´s on the left side of the computer (top view), I´m afraid you messed up with the pressure transducer. It seems to me somehow the metal shield that protects the pressure transducer came loose and the membrane was exposed. I would send it right away to Suunto. Lucky you that live in Italy. I understand Suunto customer service in Europe is very good as compared to the Americas.

i've watched the membrane with a microscope and it seems to be ok, just a little messed up over but still "closed".

I'll try dyving using this and my old mosquito and i'll let you know.

Thanks for the quick answer. :)

Did you remove the metallic lid (or cover) in order to expose the pressure transducer membrane or it was missed in action? If you do have the metallic lid (I believe it´s attached to the case by two tiny screws), put it back to protect the membrane and give the D9 a try in the water. If you do not have the metallic lid, I would not advise you to dive with that computer until the lid is replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom