Dacor double hose regulator.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanadivenut

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I'll try to make a long story short!....I've always wanted to try diving a double hose reg., so I did a little shopping around, and ended up buying one last week. Some of you may have seen it on ebay, it is a Dacor with the "dial a breath" knob on it. I received it today, and the thing really is like brand new. I truly believe it's never been in the water, as per the seller's story. The dive shop that had it all these years, had removed the ID tag from it as they had plans to sell them as an in-house reg., but the deal fell through so it never happened. Because the tag from this one was already removed and misplaced, it was put away and blah blah blah! (So much for the short story) Can anyone tell me what to look for on this to help identify the model? Also, what kind of tank pressure can these regs work with? I think the thing is a work of art to look at, but I need to find some solid information as to the model so that I can hopefully scrounge a manual etc. and get going with this. Man, it's going to be quite a departure from my FFM etc., but I'm stoked! Thanks guys.....ANY help will sure be appreciated!

It is probably a model R-4. I would reccomend having Dan at Vintage Scuba Supply or Byran at Vintage Double Hose service it and make sure that it is dive worthy.

Its a Dacor Diving Lung. It is mean't to operate at 2250 psi max. I have one myself which is also like new. I haven't sent it to Dan at Vintage yet. I have had him rebuilt my US Divers DA and he did a great job. I have dove my Dacor and its like breathing through a soda straw. That may have something to do with poor tank placement on my part. The Dacor hoses are thinner then the ones US Divers uses. I suspect if I swaped them that may improve the Dacors performance. But anyway, do as I say, not necearrily what I do. Ha. Have it serviced. Vintage scuba has some fine discussion forums which are well worth checking out. There is a section on how to dive with double hose regs and how to properly clear them etc. I would recomend anyone who is interested in diving double hose regs read that first.

Jim

Jim, the small diameter hoses and check valves do restrict flow in the Dacor.

Montana, the Diving Lung has double diaphragms. When Dacor got started they looked for a way around the Cousteau/Gagnan patent. The dual diaphragm was born. Later, it was discovered that the patent was not enforceable anyway. Oh, well.

The original Dacor hoses are tougher than those supplied by USD. I think Dan has replacements if needed. Back in the day, we called the Dacor adjustable baffle "dial-a-death". Chuckle.

You own an interesting piece of history, right there alongside Northhill and Scott.

Dacor was the last in the US to quit production and sale of the two hose regulator.
Pesky

Back
Top Bottom