DAN and diver's insurance level?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I went from needing just basic dive insurance to needing professional coverage, I just paid the difference between the two levels offered through DAN. It was really quite easy and they sent me out my new policy and card straightaway. They also send a copy of your new professional level coverage to your agency (be it PADI, SSI etc). This was through DAN Europe but I'm assuming it would be the same for all DAN bodies...

Safe diving.

You can't do this with DAN Asia Pacific. Once you get a policy you cannot update it for the year.

DAN insurance is like automobile/motorcycle insurance. You hope that you don't have to use it, but if and when you do, you'd be glad to have it.

My first six months of diving, I saw one guy got a helicopter ride to the hyperbaric chamber WITHOUT DAN insurance. I'd hate to see his bill.

You can't do this with DAN Asia Pacific. Once you get a policy you cannot update it for the year.

Wow, that sucks! Now I'm kind of glad that DAN Asia Pacific made it impossible to keep my Membership/Insurance when I was going to be in and out of Australia for the year. DAN Europe were a lot more flexible, even though at the time I wasn't technically a resident of Europe. I would have been out for a lot more money otherwise...

I have never needed my DAN insurance.

My dive buddy did this fall. The first chamber treatment was 7 hours, followed by three 2-hour sessions over the next three days. He was very glad he had DAN.

I was his dive buddy, and we did the exact same dives over a three day period. We were within accepted profiles on every one.

I felt great.

I say this to point out that we don't know enough about DCS to be sure we are going to be OK, and the few dollars sent to DAN each year are well worth it. Oh, and when I do renew my insurance, I add a donation.

sorry for the delayed reply, but thanks to everyone for your help :) you've given me a few options and obviously set me straight on a few finer points!

cheers :D

DAN is definitely a must if you're planning on diving regularly.

The nice thing about the DAN plans is that you just sign up and you're covered anywhere in the world.

But more important, DAN plans cover you for chamber visits - should that unfortunate need arise. There are many travel insurance plans that have "discretionary" cover and supplementary cover for diving with small prints. Many of them DO NOT cover for hyperbaric chamber visits.

DAN is definitely a must if you're planning on diving regularly.

The nice thing about the DAN plans is that you just sign up and you're covered anywhere in the world.

Make that ALMOST anywhere. I'm pretty sure they don't cover you in Cuba...

I would have recommended DAN without hesitation as I had been a member for year. I missed their e-mail kicking us out to DAN World and found by chance that I was no longer covered as DAN World does not use automatic renewals.

DAN World is actually Traveller EMS and prices are significantly higher than DAN America. And get this..... the lowest level coverage does NOT cover you for dive accidents!! This is not at all clear on their website. Given it to do over, I would opt for a different company... just because.

I'm a bit puzzled by what level of insurance I should be getting on my DAN membership (or if i should be gaining insurance through another company other than DAN?).

There are 3 basic levels for DAN insurance under the normal membership. The choice for which depends on you. I typically throw down the $70 for the Master package because I like the extra insurance to cover my dive trips in case I have to cancel or cover gear loss. Though it isn't like home owner's or renter's insurance on your gear...it does offer some reimbursement for gear under certain circumstances. If this doesn't matter, then chose one of the other packages.

As for Pro level...I wouldn't bother till you do reach DM level. Though, I'm an instructor and I don't even have it since I don't teach or actively train right now anyways...but I do have the master package.

Compare the plans and chose whatever is right for you for this year...not the future. You can always upgrade next year or next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom