DAN BBQ at Portage this weekend!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be at the DAN BBQ this weekend from Friday(between 3 & 5 pmish) until Sunday.

Stop by my hooch and say hi! I may have cookies if you get there early enough-white chocolate macadamia!

Reserved my camping spot today with water and electric. Need to charge the laptop, blackberry, lights, and SCOOTER! Hope to find a buddy or two for an evening dive on Friday.

I really need this weekend. Look for the blue canopy with a tent under it and the UDM Aquatics Banner making it's debut!

oooo cookies...Now if you were only at Portage WI this weekend.....

I just found out Dan Orr from the Divers Alert Network will be there.... now I am really bummed that I am going to miss it.

It went very well. I don't know the exact figures but a lot of people showed up and that was just divers from my view. Plus many brought family with them. Food was good and the prizes were a bit less than the last time I was there but still nice. The economy is shafting everyone.

Dan Orr gave a great presentation Saturday night. It was dealing with the subject of equipment and being really ready to dive. The photos he showed regarding the subject and the things that divers, including instructors do is scary and hilarious at the same time. Darwin is alive and well and in some cases working overtime! He is a very nice guy and easy to talk to as well.

He also instituted the very first DAN presidents award that will be given to those who have and continue to unselfishly support DAN and it's mission. Award number one was given to Jeff Rice the guy who runs the quarry. He has been supporting them for a couple decades. And at one point it was pointed out that DAN was in danger of failing and Jeff and his staff worked round the clock an entire weekend to print and donate 40,000 flyers that DAN could use to promote itself and the mission. The second award was given to the TA dive club that sponsors the event every year.

Weather was great, diving beautiful and you could use everything from shorts and t shirts to dry suits. It all depended on what thermocline you wanted to use. I found two pairs of sunglasses beneath the slide that sets over 50 ft of water. Returned them to two very nice and very attractive, and somewhat intoxicated, young women along with a pearl headband that I told them they could fight over. I just wanted to be able to watch!

My students had a blast and would go back every weekend if not for the 5 hr drive. I will be going back next year and may make it again this summer time and finances permitting for another event.

And as there have been some rumors going around I told Jeff that I would let everyone know that the quarry was indeed sold but IT IS NOT CLOSING ANYTIME SOON! He is finalizing a new lease that will allow things to continue for a long time to come.

Jeff's efforts to aid DAN are just a testament to the stand-up guy that he is. I always enjoy his humor when I visit Portage, and am planning another trip in the next few weeks!

It was a great weekend. Portage is always my favorite place in Ohio to dive. And I never knew who Jeff was until the announcment and award. I had seen the face, but didn't have a name to put with it.

Dan Orr's presentation was funny, but I had to wonder, did he really just take pictures of those people or did he go and help them and tell the the correct way to use their equipment.

Back
Top Bottom