Dan Grenier lost at sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the honor of Diving with Dan's operation Crystal Divers last September. On one particular dive called "G-6", an hour out from the mainland, the currents were fierce. Dan was very cognizant of our group and checked in with all of us frequently. On our way back to the boat I remember the current being so turbulent that we literally crawled along the broken corals on the floor to get back to the ascent line! On that same dive someone ran out of air and began buddy breathing missing the line alltogether and ascending too fast. The large swells carried them further out past the boat. This buddy team were both seasoned 1,000+ divers. It was the woman that offered her buddy air who actually got bent. Only moments after she boarded the boat did she begin experiencing excruciating pains on one side of her body. She was air lifted to the mainland hospital hours later (Fiji time). While we awaited the helicopter, Dan and his team acted very professionally and steadfastly to assist with oxygen, etc.

A scuba photo journalist I met on this trip contacted me last month to announce this sad news. It is unfortunate to hear that our beloved sport has taken more lives. Dan will be missed and remembered for his accomplishments among the community.

Bubble_Baby:
I had the honor of Diving with Dan's operation Crystal Divers last September. On one particular dive called "G-6", an hour out from the mainland, the currents were fierce. Dan was very cognizant of our group and checked in with all of us frequently. On our way back to the boat I remember the current being so turbulent that we literally crawled along the broken corals on the floor to get back to the ascent line! On that same dive someone ran out of air and began buddy breathing missing the line alltogether and ascending too fast. The large swells carried them further out past the boat. This buddy team were both seasoned 1,000+ divers. It was the woman that offered her buddy air who actually got bent. Only moments after she boarded the boat did she begin experiencing excruciating pains on one side of her body. She was air lifted to the mainland hospital hours later (Fiji time). While we awaited the helicopter, Dan and his team acted very professionally and steadfastly to assist with oxygen, etc.
Doesn't sound like much of a fun dive. Can you tell us anything about the pre-dive planning and briefing?

bobthesponge:
Why not use the $10K reward money to continue the search???? That is a lot of money...

I am Danielle's sister. Please do not get the impression that the reward is the end of our efforts to locate Danielle. The reward is an incentive for continuing the search in and on the islands. We (the family) are still contributing as much as we can financially, intellectually, and emotionally to the search.

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of you who are giving time, money, advice and prayers during our living nightmare.

Sharon.

ThatsMe:
Ive been trying to keep up with all this.. mabe I missed something. I went to the lost divers webpage and saw a drawing of an island with all kind on info on it. How do yall know she has seen boats and planes and there are turtles and waterfalls and such?
I have been reading this thread since its inception. My heart goes out to the families of these divers. I do hope they get found-alive.
Wasn't even gonna look at the link until ThatsMe mentioned the drawing. Now, I have never been to this area of the world, so know nothing of the islands. However, when I saw the drawing, the first thing I thought of was it looked like the island that Tom Hanks was deserted on in Castaway. I just hope your psychic isn't a hoax...sorry to be such a downer....
Good luck everybody.

Castaway was shot on tiny Monuriki Island, in the Mamanucas. That island group is just west of Nadi and Lautoka, way south of where Dan and Danielle were lost and way south of where Danielle's BCD was found. Monuriki is near another island with a resort, and is likely visited on a regular basis by locals. Anyone stranded there should be able to signal for help.

I guess it does look like Monuriki island a bit. Here's a picture of it. Double click on pictures for bigger look.
Rhino
P.S. Does anyone there in the U.S. have contact or know a reliable psychic that might want to help??????????????????????????????????????? It cant hurt ay!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom