DAN Insurance non-diving medical "Accident"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submit to your Health plan. Other options generic Medical travel insurance, AmEx travel Insurance, etc. Those cover more "illness" than "injury. Flu sucks, but ain't an injury.

Don't ever get sick in the U.S. I haven't ever paid a dime with my various "out of the country" coverages over the years. But the paperwork (or maybe computerwork now) is just stupid. My wife was in a hospital (via ambulance) in Mississippi in 2012 for about 4 hours. She had an airway constriction episode, maybe due to an allergy, they surmise. 2 doctors talked to her for a few minutes each and gave her advice and some pills. $6,000 U.S.
1990--I had an operation in NY. Completely covered. The hospital wanted my VISA to pay for everything UP FRONT. And Sh!t, this was the hospital where I was BORN. I used nice language to say no fu&^ing way! Took over a YEAR for all of them to get paid with my various coverages. Every thing is billed separately.
When I was admitted--in crippling pain-- they wanted me to sign something saying I could pay for services. Greatest country in the world. Sorry. Rant over.

From DAN handbook:

INJURY means bodily harm or damage (not including mental or emotional harm/damages) due to a covered accident that is not contributed to by disease, illness, infection, bodily infirmity, or any other abnormal physical condition and that occurs while the injured person’s coverage under the group policy is in force. All injuries sus- tained by one person in any one accident, including related con- ditions and recurrent symptoms of these injuries, are considered a single injury.

Thanks everyone. I ended up submitting it with my primary health insurance. They're not covering much either. My advice, if you get sick on a cruise, don't go to the infirmary unless you're ready for a huge out of pocket expense.

One would think cruises would have an interest in being reasonable about BASIC medical care.

God forbid all those folks with norovirus should be scared off by the expense and forego medical attention and infection control advice. Nope, let's make it so expensive they stay away from the doctor and and turn the whole ship into a petri dish.

Add one more reason to the long list of reasons that I am unlikely ever to take a cruise.

Don't ever get sick in the U.S. I haven't ever paid a dime with my various "out of the country" coverages over the years. But the paperwork (or maybe computerwork now) is just stupid. My wife was in a hospital (via ambulance) in Mississippi in 2012 for about 4 hours. She had an airway constriction episode, maybe due to an allergy, they surmise. 2 doctors talked to her for a few minutes each and gave her advice and some pills. $6,000 U.S.
1990--I had an operation in NY. Completely covered. The hospital wanted my VISA to pay for everything UP FRONT. And Sh!t, this was the hospital where I was BORN. I used nice language to say no fu&^ing way! Took over a YEAR for all of them to get paid with my various coverages. Every thing is billed separately.
When I was admitted--in crippling pain-- they wanted me to sign something saying I could pay for services. Greatest country in the world. Sorry. Rant over.
Why is healthcare so expensive in the US ?

Why is healthcare so expensive in the US ?
Government, lawsuits, too many people with their fingers in the pot, no real competition as pricing is shielded until the end where you get a grand surprise (try asking a dr how much will this cost, LOL), and just plain greed. That about sums it up.

Government, lawsuits, too many people with their fingers in the pot, no real competition as pricing is shielded until the end where you get a grand surprise (try asking a dr how much will this cost, LOL), and just plain greed. That about sums it up.
The 6000$ fee TMHeimer mentioned, it seems almost like racket or extortion...

I would say not enough government involved.

Without going into detail, my health insurance premium has exploded from when I retired in 2012. With the premiums I paid for last year, I could pay for all 4 dive trips offered by a local dive op in my city: 1) 7 nights Scuba Club Cozumel - round trip airfare included, 5 days diving/unlimited shore diving, meals, etc 2) 7 nights Belize - round trip airfare included, 5 days diving/unlimited shore diving, meals, etc. 3) Palau 10 nights on the S/Y Siren liveaboard, all meals, ~32 dives 4) 6 nights Blackbeard liveaboard in the Exuma Cays (Bahamas), all meals, etc *2 years ago my premiums were so high, I would have been able to pay for airfare on the trips it wasn't provided on plus some extras.

BUT my health insurance wouldn't cover anything on any of those trips - no emergency care, no urgent care, no nothing!

That's one reason I have DAN insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom