• Can't discuss under advisement of my attorney

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Never buy it

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • Polls are for chumps

Votes: 14 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, @Trailboss123.

I decided to not be lazy and to be helpful so I went searching the boards. I'm pasting my responses here! Just a warning it might seem like I'm beating a dead horse here since this topic has sprouted in so many different threads. Here's my effort in consolidating. :)
-----

I currently have DAN dive accident and considered DAN travel insurance. Dive Assure still offers more over DAN for trip/travel insurance at competitive rates - for one, their emergency medical expense/evacuation coverage goes higher if you opt for the higher plans. They also have non=medical emergency evacuation coverage. Their baggage/diving gear loss/theft coverage also goes up to double what DAN offers. It also covers lost diving days to due medical or weather. Dive Assure also offers a Liveaboard Rider which DAN does not even offer. Dive Assure also gives you the option to buy it as primary insurance or secondary insurance.

DAN travel insurance can and will cover a lot of what people need. I already pay for DAN accident annually so that is already done. If I am going on a $$ liveaboard trip, I usually will buy the Dive Assure plan w/ Liveaboard Rider plus a separate policy from GeoBlue for non-diving issues to supplement. It's a bit overkill, but if it's only going to cost me somewhere between $15-$40 (depending on age - this is for me, zip code, where you're going, duration of your trip) for $1M coverage, $0 deductible covering pre-existing conditions in addition to what I already have through Dive Assure emergency medical, it's a no brainer if I am going somewhere remote and something happens. In case I have already lost you, I would have one dive accident only policy (DAN), one blended dive accident and travel policy w/ LOB rider (Dive Assure), and one pure non-dive policy which limits dive issues to some ridiculously low amount (GeoBlue).
------
Yes, it would seem it would cover for the missed connection. The nice thing about the rider is that it also covers medical/weather inability to dive, dive accidents by other passengers that causes cancellation in dives, mechanical breakdowns that the operator won't reimburse for (including compressor issues or boat itself or any reason that you would have to abandon ship for)...and less likely but the operator going out of business. The rider isn't very much. Dive Assure offers the option to purchase travel insurance without the dive accident - you have to call instead of doing it online though. I spoke with someone on FB who recently had to make a claim and it worked out well.
-----

I have DAN dive insurance 100% of the time and purchase Dive Assure when I do liveaboards or when I have high value trips booked for diving with bad cancellation/refund policies. Dive Assure has a liveaboard rider that no one else has and their travel insurance coverage is better than DAN's for the money. I was curious about each of their fine prints based on this thread and found the following:

DAN: COVERED DIVE or COVERED DIVING ACTIVITY means a recreational dive or diving while a scuba instructor, divemaster, underwater photographer, or while performing research under the auspices and following the diving safety guidelines of the American Academy of Underwater Scientists (AAUS), Canadian Academy of Underwater Scientists (CAUS) or a group whose written diving research protocol meets or exceeds those of the AAUS or CAUS. A dive begins upon entry into the water and ends upon exit from the water. A Covered Dive must begin while insurance is in force. COVERED DIVING ACCIDENT means an Accident, DCI, or any Injury that results from a Covered Dive, regardless of the depth.

DIVE ASSURE: .....Excluded Activities: The following sports and activities are not covered as part of this policy.....Hazardous Sports:....Diving to depths that you have not been trained in or certified for and flying within 24-hours of diving activity.....

In this case, Dive Assure could throw a diver the book and walk away from coverage if push came to shove. In my case, I am PADI Rescue certified (currently a DM candidate) with no deep specialty which technically puts me at a limit of 30m. If I had a deep specialty, that would put me at a limit of 40m but if I got bent at 31m, they could refuse coverage. Their definition is not specifically outlined in black and white for the certifying/training organization but it could go either way for a diver. The downside sounds potentially incredibly expensive.

Well done for trying to consolidate relevant information. As always and as you pointed out, buyer beware. Always read the polocy document before you purchase and never assume.

If I had a deep specialty, that would put me at a limit of 40m but if I got bent at 31m, they could refuse coverage. Their definition is not specifically outlined in black and white for the certifying/training organization but it could go either way for a diver. The downside sounds potentially incredibly expensive.

I can cite a perfect example of this. A person on a dive trip I was on, took a minor bend on teh first dive of the day to 22m. He had insurance and went to the chamber.

His travel and dive insurance had come with his credit card when he booked the holiday.

Unfortunately he didn't read the exclusions and limitations. In this case the insurance was only valid for recreational diving to 18m

Of course this wsn't apparent until after his chamber ride and overnight stay when he got presented with a bill for $30,000, and had to frantically make calls home to raise the cash.

I hit a different problem with DAN, even before needing to file a claim.

To start, I don't need the DAN medical coverage, as my regular medical insurance is one of the few that already covers me abroad and covers diving accidents, hyperbaric chamber and medivac.

But I had read of DAN doing an excellent job at coordinating with emergency personnel and doctors to ensure proper care that I figured it was worth it for the safety factor as emergergency personnel in the third world countries where I am likely to dive on vacation are probably clueless when it comes to diving medicine.

And since I am temporarily living abroad, I ended up signing up with DAN World and started carrying the card in a visible slot of my wallet so that it would be easily seen should I be unconscious due to a diving accident.

Soon after I discovered that DAN world has no local phone numbers for the countries it covers. If you want service you must call a US phone number. This is absurd. The typical local in tourist locations is cash strapped, if I am unconscious he might call the local emergency number but he is not likely to spend his limited money on an international call to DAN. The lack of local phone numbers blows my mind since VOIP services like DIDww and others let you have a local phone number with unlimited incoming calls for as little as $5 a month.

So it seems I bought the yearly DAN coverage for nothing.

Thanks to the education I have received from outofofficebrb's many posts on the subject, I am getting into the practice of weighing my liveaboard risks versus costs. For an expensive liveaboard, I think I will buy the DiveAssure liveaboard rider. For a budget liveaboard, I might just take the risk. A Caribbean liveaboard during the height of hurricane season is probably already offered at a discount.

We use DAN's dive medicine plan and we buy TravelGuard Trip insurance. We do not need to buy "adventure travel" coverage because scuba is covered in the regular TG plan. I do not include their rental car coverage because we make separate arrangements for auto coverage, but I do add on optional coverage for evacuation to the hospital of our choice because that is important to us.

We haven't had to use it so far, it is like all insurance, you resent buying it but you never know when you will need it.

Last edited:
Am I correct in understanding that the DAN medical insurance is something you buy on an annual basis?

DAN also offers trip insurance that you can buy on a per-trip basis?

Dive Assure trip insurance is something you would buy on a per-trip basis?

And, I gather Dive Assure also offers dive accident medical insurance which you can include (or not) when you buy trip insurance and it is just coverage for that trip?

Am I correct in understanding that the DAN medical insurance is something you buy on an annual basis?

And, I gather Dive Assure also offers dive accident medical insurance which you can include (or not) when you buy trip insurance and it is just coverage for that trip?

You have all of that correct, although Dive Assure does also have the option for annual dive accident medical insurance, in addition to Per Trip Medical.

It looks like I am getting the run around from DAN Insurance again. They wont cover my trip to the bahamas since Blackbeards livaboard says that it is unsafe to run the charter in a Cat 5 hurricane. Dan travel insurance says this is not a covered event. This is the second time I have felt let down and left hanging in the wind by their travel insurance.

My question is what travel insurance company should I use in the future? Im looking for one that will pay out in the event of a hurricane cancelling a trip, the boat sinking before the charter/fire, flight cancellation causing you to miss the boat, etc you know the usual disasters that would detail a trip.

After these experiences I'm even rethinking weather Dan diver insurance is worth keeping since I don't want to hear that they won't help if I got bent or hit by the boat does anyone have a better alternative?
It looks like I am getting the run around from DAN Insurance again. They wont cover my trip to the bahamas since Blackbeards livaboard says that it is unsafe to run the charter in a Cat 5 hurricane. Dan travel insurance says this is not a covered event. This is the second time I have felt let down and left hanging in the wind by their travel insurance.

My question is what travel insurance company should I use in the future? Im looking for one that will pay out in the event of a hurricane cancelling a trip, the boat sinking before the charter/fire, flight cancellation causing you to miss the boat, etc you know the usual disasters that would detail a trip.

After these experiences I'm even rethinking weather Dan diver insurance is worth keeping since I don't want to hear that they won't help if I got bent or hit by the boat does anyone have a better alternative?

Hi Guys ,
Mate no ins co would take the commercial risk for cover during diving in a hurrican.
I empathise with your frustration, but learned to live with it.
I use Westfield dive insurance in the UK / speak to Nick and say Kevin recommended you. If extreme cover is available he will do it. Multitrip Cover for any trip if under 30 days away.
If this is helpful do me a favour and join in my conversation about Manta Heaven deserving the title of No.1 night dive in the world. !!?
Cheers Pal

I have DAN for medical. For travel I usually just buy with the airline company. Recently had a trip planned with wife. Part my reunion and part her family. Wife needed to rest a leg that went bad leading up to surgery. So we canceled all. I could have done the trip by myself but not optimal. Got travel expenses refunded for both of us.

I hit a different problem with DAN, even before needing to file a claim.

To start, I don't need the DAN medical coverage, as my regular medical insurance is one of the few that already covers me abroad and covers diving accidents, hyperbaric chamber and medivac.

But I had read of DAN doing an excellent job at coordinating with emergency personnel and doctors to ensure proper care that I figured it was worth it for the safety factor as emergergency personnel in the third world countries where I am likely to dive on vacation are probably clueless when it comes to diving medicine.

And since I am temporarily living abroad, I ended up signing up with DAN World and started carrying the card in a visible slot of my wallet so that it would be easily seen should I be unconscious due to a diving accident.

Soon after I discovered that DAN world has no local phone numbers for the countries it covers. If you want service you must call a US phone number. This is absurd. The typical local in tourist locations is cash strapped, if I am unconscious he might call the local emergency number but he is not likely to spend his limited money on an international call to DAN. The lack of local phone numbers blows my mind since VOIP services like DIDww and others let you have a local phone number with unlimited incoming calls for as little as $5 a month.

So it seems I bought the yearly DAN coverage for nothing.

DAN's emergency number with US area code accepts collect calls. It works in a similar way to almost all credit cards - there is a phone number that has a domestic 800 number you can use, and then another that it specifically says you should use when traveling internationally that will accept collect calls. A collect call means that DAN will pay for it, not the person dialing in the case of emergency or the cash-strapped person you refer to here. Whether they bill it back to you is another issue, but in the grand scheme of emergencies, that is very little in comparison to the coverage they are offering. Perhaps they would throw it in as part of the coverage amount. :)

Thanks to the education I have received from outofofficebrb's many posts on the subject, I am getting into the practice of weighing my liveaboard risks versus costs. For an expensive liveaboard, I think I will buy the DiveAssure liveaboard rider. For a budget liveaboard, I might just take the risk. A Caribbean liveaboard during the height of hurricane season is probably already offered at a discount.

I'm so glad it has been helpful and not, "Oh gawd, she's posting about this AGAIN?" Hahaha. :) I did not always travel with all this coverage before and it was also with the help of others in determining what made the most sense for me, my financial situation, etc. With all the hurricanes in the Atlantic, it's a forceful reminder of how it can be beneficial. I know my Chase credit card only covers interruption or cancellation up to $5K and it is within specific parameters that might not be all encompassing to my needs based on all the things that could go wrong. Like you, I weigh the individual trip and $ involved before deciding what I will purchase or not purchase.

Do you mean DAN dive accident insurance? If so, yes. It, along with your membership, expires annually and you have to renew or you can call them and set up an auto-renewal policy. DAN offers trip insurance you can buy on a per-trip basis. You can also buy an annual trip policy if you go on enough trips to justify this. Dive Assure allows you to purchase something on a per-trip basis or like DAN, you can also opt to have annual coverage. In both cases, you want to double check the coverage amount that you are purchasing. Sometimes, I find it difficult to purchase an annual policy because I only go on 2-3 trips a year and the premium amount is still equal or same as if I bought individually depending on the value. Also, note that the annual policy for coverage amount is the aggregate of all the issues you might have during the year that add up to the coverage amount. I haven't read the fine print to see what happens if you have already spent the benefit early on and what happens to the later trips. Another reason for me why I just buy on a per trip basis. Sometimes, I don't know how much my trips will be. Ensuring I have adequate coverage (whether primary, secondary, and what tier for Dive Assure) sometimes does not occur until I book the trip which is sometimes less than a year out so it's hard to plan for in the coverage amount sense.

Dive Assure automatically gives you dive accident medical insurance when you purchase their policies online. If you e-mail or call, you can ask that you only have the dive travel insurance (with or without liveaboard rider) without the dive accident coverage if you already have DAN. This reduces the premium amount but it's negligible in most instances. Note that Dive Assure gives you the option for primary or secondary coverage and the rates differ accordingly based on the tier plan you purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom