DAN travel insurance: skiers beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A-Z

Registered
Reaction score
If you are a skier, you might want to think twice about buying a DAN travel insurance policy due to this exclusion:

"We will not pay for any loss under this Policy, caused by, or resulting from: . . . . i. extreme skiing, heli-skiing, skiing outside marked trails, . . . ."

After I saw this exclusion, I canceled my DAN policy during the grace period for a full refund, and purchased a TravelGuard (AIG) policy with no skiing exclusions. Of course the DAN policy was cheaper, but this seems to be another example of "you get what you pay for."

To DAN's credit, they processed my refund promptly with no questions asked.

cheers, Andy

DAN is a fine organization with great Dive insurance, along with a history of corrupt management, ignoring some critical needs, and other mistakes often seen in non-profit and co-op organizations.

They shopped & added other insurance programs because members asked, but I haven't seen one I like yet.

let's not get too excited. low cost insurance has lots of exclusions. like hang gliding, parachuting, auto racing, and for most scuba diving....

you DO get what you pay for. please do not be surprised.

DANs scheme is that they allow scuba, but still disallow all of that other stuff.

REal insurance costs real dollars. there is no free lunch.

let's not get too excited. low cost insurance has lots of exclusions. like hang gliding, parachuting, auto racing, and for most scuba diving....

you DO get what you pay for. please do not be surprised.

DANs scheme is that they allow scuba, but still disallow all of that other stuff.

REal insurance costs real dollars. there is no free lunch.

Even then, it looks like it's only prohibiting back country skiing, not inbound skiing. The majority of skiers never engage in extreme skiing to begin with.

Sounds like it doesn't cover extreme ski activities. Ok.

Does travel guard cover technical or decompression diving injuries?

If not, I call for everyone to cancel that policy.

I had a diving related injury on a trip and had to be medically evacuated back to the United States. DAN did everything possible to get out of paying the claim. Read you DAN policy closely (closer than I read mine): It says that they are Not the primary insurer and that you should file any and all claims to your primary insurance first. They will make you exhaust all efforts to get your Home Owners Insurance, your Primary Medical Insurance, any other travel insurance, equipment insurance before they even think about writing you a check. This is a fact.

I had a diving related injury on a trip and had to be medically evacuated back to the United States. DAN did everything possible to get out of paying the claim. Read you DAN policy closely (closer than I read mine): It says that they are Not the primary insurer and that you should file any and all claims to your primary insurance first. They will make you exhaust all efforts to get your Home Owners Insurance, your Primary Medical Insurance, any other travel insurance, equipment insurance before they even think about writing you a check. This is a fact.

After you filed with the other agencies did they then pick up the difference? Lots of insurance policies do not pay for stuff covered by another policy.

It says that they are Not the primary insurer and that you should file any and all claims to your primary insurance first. .

I think that you will find that almost all insurance policies say something similar. I'm in Canada. Here, our Provincial Health Care Plan would be considered the primary insurer. Any supplemental insurance, whether it be insurance through your employer or insurance you purchase separately, will all likely only cover the costs not covered by the others. Even insurance provided by long established companies like Blue Cross will do this.

Another common condition is that most of these insurers will insist that you call them first in the event of an accident. This isn't because they're your best friend. This is because they want to control your treatment... i.e. they want to control how much that treatment cost. Since we started this off talking about skiing, if you happen to bust your leg skiing and head off to the local fracture clinic, but didn't bother to call the insurer, you might find yourself out in the cold... Even if that fracture clinic was one of their "approved" facilities. I have always assumed that this was because they have negotiated treatment discounts from these places.

I think it's a little less complicated her in Canada because the government health plans publish their charges for all to see. A supplemental insurer would know what they're on the hook for if you are for example, an American skiing in Canada. Mrs. Stoo has busted both of her legs while we were out of province. Twelve years ago, while skiing at Lake Louise in Alberta. (We're from Ontario). Upon discharge, she got a bill for crutches and an extra set of x-ray films to take home. This summer, she broke her other leg on a dive boat while we were in Quebec. Again, she got a bill for crutches and an ambulance ride.

Getting back DAN... We contacted DAN as soon as we arrived at the hospital. Mrs Stoo was experiencing numbness in her extremities. I didn't think it likely it was DCS given our profiles, but I wanted a second opinion. Towards the end of that conversation, the person I was speaking with at DAN asked if we were going to need assistance getting home. That wasn't something I had even thought about at that point!

Anyway, to make a long story short, a week later, after she had recovered from surgery to have a rod inserted into her tibia, DAN flew a nurse to us (from Toronto to Gaspé), set her up in a hotel, and then paid for four seats to fly them both home. (Three for my wife, so she could keep her leg elevated.) They emailed every couple of hours through the week to see how we were making out, and to ask if we needed anything else. Their service was nothing less than perfect. My guestimate of the evacuation cost... flights, hotel, nurse and even a limo home... was likely in the $12,000 range. No muss, no fuss.

Driving my wife home (20 hours without breaks) would have been painful and dangerous for her. I honestly can't say enough positive things about our experience with DAN.

Steve, After all was said and done, DAN paid $135 towards my total losses of $9500+. Some was paid by personal medical insurance. As for all the air fare it took to get me back to the States from Indonesia, I had to write off all those costs (over $5k). When I was injured (on a Liveaboard Vessel in Indonesia), I called DAN from a Satellite phone. They agreed to medivac me back to the U.S. and even gave me a claim number. But, when all was said and done, their claim number and authorization for me to be medevac'd meant nothing.
I don't mean to be disgruntled. Rather, I just want others to know that DAN is not an insurance company (they are not!). Rather, they are only an agent for another company, and the insurance they sell has great limitations, and lots of fine print. The best thing a diver can do before any travel is get travel insurance that covers medical occurances, lost travel, lost luggage, etc. Such insurance is actually very inexpensive and can often be purchased along with an airline ticket.

I don't mean to be disgruntled. Rather, I just want others to know that DAN is not an insurance company (they are not!).

Kroorda, with respect, you have every right to be "disgruntled" (nice choice of word). But you are correct, DAN is not an insurance carrier, and I think that that is pretty apparent. They merely recommend Travel Assist and so on... So your beef is with Travel Assist, not DAN.

If your explanation of events is accurate and complete, you should perhaps consider consulting a lawyer. I think as a "rule", insurance companies always seem to default to "no".

Completely unrelated, but years ago, I was rear-ended while towing my little RIB on a dive weekend. I had always paid for "replacement value" at a significant premium cost. By boat was essentially totalled. The insurer was dragging out our discussions and offering me payments that were a fraction of what I'd paid for the boat. After about a week of screwing around, I said (in a very calm voice!) that if they didn't have a cheque for me for the ful amount by the end of the next business day, I would be going to a lawyer. They called the next day to advise that the cheque would be ready in a couple of days...

Back
Top Bottom