DAN vs Dive Assure Travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are going to Cozumel in July and I am looking to pick up travel insurance through either DAN or Dive Assure.

It seems the major selling point for Dive Assure is that it is primary insurance while DAN is secondary. We do not have primary insurance that is valid in Mexico, so is this really an issue?

Do the DAN travel insurance policies cover dive related accidents, or do you need separate DAN dive insurance on top of their travel policy?

My main concern with DAN, is since they advertise it as secondary coverage, would we be looking at covering everything out of pocket until we got home to file a claim, even though we'd have no other coverage in Mexico?

We are going to Cozumel in July and I am looking to pick up travel insurance through either DAN or Dive Assure.

It seems the major selling point for Dive Assure is that it is primary insurance while DAN is secondary. We do not have primary insurance that is valid in Mexico, so is this really an issue?

Do the DAN travel insurance policies cover dive related accidents, or do you need separate DAN dive insurance on top of their travel policy?

My main concern with DAN, is since they advertise it as secondary coverage, would we be looking at covering everything out of pocket until we got home to file a claim, even though we'd have no other coverage in Mexico?

Interested as well

There are about a million threads on this subject on ScubaBoard. Here is one Do I need DAN? But a simple search of the word DiveAssure will bring you a dozen more in depth discussions.

There are about a million threads on this subject on ScubaBoard. Here is one Do I need DAN? But a simple search of the word DiveAssure will bring you a dozen more in depth discussions.

Good information on that thread, but it doesn't answer my main question of whether I would need DAN travel imdurance AND their dive insurance, or if their travel inaurance policies also cover dive accidents.

Travel insurance does not cover dive accidents. Dive insurance does not cover missed travel, although it will evacuate you in the event of a dive accident.

I have Guardian level dive insurance, and when I need to insure a trip, which I rarely do, I use TravelGuard.

So I just tried to login to the dive assure website to see if they were covering Americans yet, and when I selected USA/English, the website switched over to Spanish. I guess they still aren't covering Americans.

So I just tried to login to the dive assure website to see if they were covering Americans yet, and when I selected USA/English, the website switched over to Spanish. I guess they still aren't covering Americans.

Weird, I was able to get a quote.

Travel insurance does not cover dive accidents. Dive insurance does not cover missed travel, although it will evacuate you in the event of a dive accident.

I have Guardian level dive insurance, and when I need to insure a trip, which I rarely do, I use TravelGuard.

I'm less concerned with insuring my trip costs and more concerned about having insurance coverage for non dive related medical emergencies such as a car wreck, medical issue, etc.

If you go with DiveAssure, make sure they are providing coverage to Americans (if you are one). They weren't for a couple of years. Don't just buy the policy online, call.

If you go with DiveAssure, make sure they are providing coverage to Americans (if you are one). They weren't for a couple of years. Don't just buy the policy online, call.

10-4. I've also exchanged emails with a rep/agent.

My main goal is to have dive insurance and also insurance for non diving related medical emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom