DAN vs PADI insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpik

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I am new to this board and have been diving about a year and love it!. I have been reading a lot about DAN and PADI insurance. I am a PADI member. I have checked out both of their webb sights and I really don't see much diference in the DAN Preferred plan and the PADI platinum plan. Most people on this board seam to think DAN is great. Can someone clear this up for me?

The PADI site seems to be down at the moment, so I can't look at
what their insurance coverage is. However... I'm a PADI certified
diver, and I have to admit that this is the first I've heard of PADI
insurance. That might tell you one thing. I _do_ have insurance
through DAN.

If you want my uninformed opinon, which is something I'm really
good at giving :), I'd say go with DAN. The reason behind that is
if you have a diving related accident, most likely you'll be calling
DAN anyway, and why have someone else to call to deal with
any sort of insurance coverage. The last thing I would want is
to be sitting in the waiting room waiting to get a ride in the tube
while two companies are trying to figure out who's going to pay
for it! :)

-Jeff

I went with DAN over PADI because I was told that DAN is basically the only organization out there doing actual diving/health research. Don't know if that's true, but it sold me.

I went with DAN over PADI because DAN's primary function as an orginization revolves around diving related health issues. Thats all they do. Im sure you have heard the saying before "Do one thing, and do it well"? Well, thats what DAN does. PADI on the other hand is primarily and orginization which promotes the sport of recreational diving and provides training and instruction. While PADI is responsible for instructing proper methods to avoid diving related injuries, reacting to those injuries and providing insurance coverage is really a secondary role. Also, as Funky_Monks already mentioned, should you be injured your going to be calling DAN anyway....right? So it just makes good all around sense to go with DAN (IMHO).

The only insurance that I have with PADI is my Instructors Liability Insurance. My Diving Accident Insurance is with DAN, and has been for the last 12 years. PADI has only been offering theirs (and it has changed hands) within the last 8 or so. I know that as a PADI member, I should be extolling the virtues of everything PADI but...

Go with DAN.

Thanks for everyones imput. DAN does do some great things from what I have read on their webb sight. I hadn't thought about the fact that DAN would be the one they actually call if, the good Lord forbid , something happens. I was just comparing the basic insurance coverage which was the same, as far as I could tell.

Well, I chose DAN cause I like their coverage, plus it is a way for me to support them as I don't have enough money to send "donations". Plus they sold it better!

I also get travel assistance from PADI for being a professional member, so I'm covered from that point of view.

Either way I think we're in good hands, after all the quality of the insurance can have a major impact on the industry, so it is important for it to sell good products/services.

:doctor:

All of these recent threads have convinced me. I just filled out the online DAN application. Thanks to everyone who started these threads and responded to them for the information.

Chad

I think I am leaning toward DAN. I was at my LDS and they informed me that if I planned on diving in the area that PADI was the better choice. Evidently DAN coverage only starts 50 miles away from home. I don't think I will be doing any diving in this area. The H2O is just to cold for me. Here in TN the H2O temp can get in the 50 to mid 60 degree range. To cold for me.

ckharlan66 I hope this doesn't give you second thoughts.

Thanks

waterpik,

I was aware of that but it is 60 miles to the closest wating hole so I should always meet that criteria.

Do you plan on coming up to KY to dive with us sometime? We always like to have folks come visit. Heck I might even try to get to Martha this summer. I hear it is good.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom