DAN vs PADI insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of becoming a DAN member, but buying PADI insurance. I will be diving within 50 miles of my home, but the nearest chamber is over 500 miles away. Some people on other message boards have said that DAN will cover you within 50 miles if you buy their premium plan. I sent an email to DAN for confirmation, but haven't heard back from them yet.

The reason for joining DAN is so that I can still support them and use their services.

Another thing to consider... DAN requires that you contact them and let them make any EVAC arrangements necessary. I don't like this at all! What happens if you are in a serious accident and the person or persons that summon help don't call DAN first? I want treatment and EVAC and I don't want to have to worry about my insurance and if everyone has been called or not. I would prefer someone call DAN because of the arrangements they can make for a diver in need, but again I may not be able to insure they are contacted. I think this is a VERY serious consideration.

I know why PADI offers insurance. Its another money grab for them. DAN offers insurance and backs it up with research and great rates. I have DAN can you tell

You're right, it is a serious consideration. The reality though is that even if I didn't have DAN insurance....I'd be calling them first anyway...they know the folks to evac me if I need it, they know local dive docs, they know what my closest local options are, cause this is what they do.

I've had Evac insurance before, and I've always had to arrange my evac (whether medical or political) through them....so I guess that didn't put me off.

Originally posted by Spray25
I'm thinking of becoming a DAN member, but buying PADI insurance. I will be diving within 50 miles of my home, but the nearest chamber is over 500 miles away. Some people on other message boards have said that DAN will cover you within 50 miles if you buy their premium plan. I sent an email to DAN for confirmation, but haven't heard back from them yet.

The reason for joining DAN is so that I can still support them and use their services.

Another thing to consider... DAN requires that you contact them and let them make any EVAC arrangements necessary. I don't like this at all! What happens if you are in a serious accident and the person or persons that summon help don't call DAN first? I want treatment and EVAC and I don't want to have to worry about my insurance and if everyone has been called or not. I would prefer someone call DAN because of the arrangements they can make for a diver in need, but again I may not be able to insure they are contacted. I think this is a VERY serious consideration.

Back
Top Bottom