Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chief,

No you missed nothing......as a matter of fact you have seen and participated repeatedly on the opposite side of my participation in discussions many times and that's why I came up with those disclaimers. Based on what you and others repeatedly say and the stance you take with the news, that dive shop, and Mau himself. Maybe I should put those in my signature line that way they appear with every post?:wink:

DiverG,

I have links to 6 different Mexican newspapers reporting on the initial accident. They all report the cause as a glass bottom boat breaking up. They do not report anything further as Por Esto has. Also I have found no better translator than Google so that's all we got. I fail to see how it would be possible for every single article to be false. I also doubt they would continue to quote govt officials repeatedly incorrectly. It really gets old reading people say the news is always lies or the coroner is incompetent and lies or that it is anyone else's fault but the party involved. To say there was some questionably shady stuff going on here and that divers were needlessly endangered is IMO an understatement but YMMV.

Do you remember the Atlanta Olympics bombing, and the security guard that got accussed and convicted in the media? If I recall correctly alot of if not most of the information reported was incorrect, and he was absolved of the accusations. IMHO when a big story breaks alot of media and people get the same information regurgitated.(-1sp) If the iniatial story is wrong then it gets reprinted, told etc wrong over and over. Now throw in extremely unreliable free translation and IMHO you do not have the facts. Even if you get a correctly translated version it does not make it a fact that the reported version is correct.

Same old same old...
I have links to 6 different Mexican newspapers reporting on the initial accident.
All of which probably came from the same, single source. Several people above have explained how unreliable news stories are

Also I have found no better translator than Google so that's all we got.
Jen gave you a link to a reasonbly priced, professional translator, but it'd still be based on a news report.

Chief,

No you missed nothing......as a matter of fact you have seen and participated repeatedly on the opposite side of my participation in discussions many times and that's why I came up with those disclaimers. Based on what you and others repeatedly say and the stance you take with the news, that dive shop, and Mau himself. Maybe I should put those in my signature line that way they appear with every post?:wink:

Quite the incorrect characterization of my position:

Never said the news articles were not true. I believe much of it is probably true. It seems likely that that there was a catastrophic failure. As it has been reported that the boat at one time had a glass window, seems likely. It appears though that someone tried eliminated the glass bottom to make it a 'regular' boat. The news has not reported, nor have I heard a witness say when or how this was done. Don't you agree whoever did it must have done bad job of converting it back to a 'regular' boat? Who did that? I never said that was or was not Mau's fault. I simply don't know.

I have heard things about some shops that would make me steer away from them if I was looking for a shop. Not many really and I don't know the truth of it, but then I don't need a new shop right now, so it doesn't matter to me. I never said all shops are terrific and wonderful. (I do believe ALOT of them are, based on people's reports!) Just because I will not jump on your blame train, does not mean I am arguing anyone's innocence.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

After another round of post edits and deletions in this bicker-fest, it's clear that earlier advice to interact peaceably was not heeded. You are not required to agree with one another, but all opinions must be respected and discussion must remain civil. Sanctions are now being imposed. This thread is closed to discussion until/unless additional information becomes available.

Chairman's Post!

A user in this thread has been reported to be a Sock Puppet.
The Staff of ScubaBoard has found no connection to any other account.
If you feel a user is a sock puppet, PLEASE USE THE REPORT BUTTON AND STOP SPECULATING PUBLICLY.
Conducting a witch hunt and taking the thread off topic will no longer be tolerated.
Further discussion should be taken to PMs and/or Site Support. Thank You.

Chairman's Post​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom