Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear this has happened and so glad everyone is okay. It's easy to blame this, that or the other, - suffice to say that the ocean is a fickle thing and diving is a dangerous sport, this could happen very easily to any shop on the island. Rogue waves, rough crossing - whatever. I've heard that Mau runs a safe op, and it's unfortunate for them that they've experienced this setback, especially after what happened last year. I crossed over a few years ago to dive with turtles, and it's a sobering passage, no matter what the conditions. Dive safe everyone, and keep your wits about you when you need them.

I understand your sentiment, but... um... no. Most accidents are preventable, bad judgement I think has more to do with this then simply the fickle finger of fate reaching out in a random act that could happen to anybody. If Aldora's 40 foot boat was chugging along side them during this crossing, I don't believe Aldora's boat would have just automatically sunk along with Mau's. What was on the water... what was under those diver's feet and rear ends has a lot of bearing on what happened rather then a random act of fate. That boat left the divers, not the other way around, there was a cause and an effect and a result.

Mike nailed it. Too many times people pass off poor judgment as "It could happen to anyone" when it fact it will not. I am fuzzy on the construction of the boat/modification. Was the glass portion still in place and visible to the divers?

All that work put into fixing it up and that brand new motor are now in 3000' of water......damm shame.

But a heck of a way to make the rather convincing argument that you need to buy all new dive gear. :D

Well and if half the boat had a radio on their person I would call that a pretty good redundancy for an electrical device. Appears like most were in their wetsuits, and attaching a pocket to the wetsuit can be cost effectively done to carry safety gear. How many on that boat had their SMB's with them? How about a signal mirror? Or even a whistle? Firing strobes at the helicopter was a great idea, but not even close to as bright as a signal mirror. I have been carrying a mirror for years in my pocket, and just got reminded why.

I have a Zodiac we use on the ocean/bays/lakes. It is funny because if we are out in our street clothes I always clip my handheld West Marine VHF radio to me somewhere. Now I carry my Nautilus Lifeline in my drysuit pocket 100% of the time. That way if the boat flips or? I have the radio handy. I am not overly paranoid, I just have respect for the ocean. 73% of all drowning are preventable by wearing a life jacket. We bought auto inflatable life jackets and wear them if we are not in our drysuits. Simple logic says...being prepared is important because it CAN happen to you.

Some made it into the water with SMBs. One or 2 grabbed and tank and reg and another grabbed her dive box (which contained cell phone and a cosmetic mirror) She got a call through to Mau while bobbing in the water and he notified authorities. Sounds like the mirror is what was eventually spotted by either ICE or Navy or someone. I do not think the helicoptor was functional. The ones with the tanks retrived more BCDs,( blew them up and sent them up) as the boat slowly sank. It was mentioned they had about 12 seconds before it was underwater. ( although it may have been fairly neutral. Purely speculation on my part) I am reading one of the parties involved (a friend) account of the experience from FB. She said they did get a lesson in what could and could not be seen. ICE retrived 2 people and the Navy the others.

I've recently returned to diving after many years. My wife is a completely new diver. Based on information I've found here on Scubaboard, our safety devices consist of: 2 SMB's, 2 signal mirrors, 2 Storm whistles and 1 Diver Alert horn. I told her about the strobes used in this event. She immediately asked "Didn't they have mirrors?" My comment is in no way intended to look negatively at anyone involved in this incident. I am thankful for the information and opinions I've read, and appreciate this forum for educating me to the risks that may be encountered.

All I want to say is with any dive accident, there is much to learn. We are all still processing what took place and they are still piecing together a ton of information. The processing is still going on both intellectually and emotionally. I can tell you that we have gone from tears to smiles and back to tears many times since yesterday. I know its easy to sit back and pass judgement and give your armchair quarterback reviews and observations but this can be a time of learning.

I had dinner with Kev and Scubadoc Wednesday night and knew they were all going over to do the bull shark dive. No one thought twice about it including me. As a matter of fact, they were razzing me to go with them but I had just returned from traveling and was still jet-lagged and tired. I want to say that I have made that crossing many times (diving off Playa del Carmen at sites such as Tortugas) in a smaller boat over the years. Last time I did a dive over in Playa, it was with a Playa dive op, in a boat much smaller and we started taking on water. We made it back all right. I am not sure, even with veteran Cozumel divers, that we were aware of any danger to go over from Cozumel. I cross on the ferry all the time and I am always seeing smaller boats making that crossing.

All I know is when a close friend called me yesterday to tell me that a distress call had gone out and the boat had sank and several of my dear and closest friends were in the water and could not be found - I simply can not express to you the feeling that washes over you as the blood drains to your feet and the horrible feeling of helplessness. It drops you to your knees.

I am sure there are many lessons on preparedness and safety that can be learned here. So PLEASE keep your negative, vitriolic comments to yourself. Thanks to your contribution, there's enough poo in this sandbox already so perhaps you should go play in another one. NO ONE needs to be subjected to them and you are not contributing a damn thing to this wonderful dive community here. I am absolutely fed up with this kind of mentality.

A few quick replies to some previous posts:
#5 - Darol - I don't know you and I've never met you. But to post the words karma? What a horrible thing to say. We have all been through enough. I hope I get the chance to sit down with you some time and speak face to face because you should be ashamed for that kind of comment. You have no idea and you are speaking about people that I LOVE and are near and dear to me. Certainly you must have someone in your life that you love and that gives a s**t about you? Perhaps you should take a step back and think about your words. I can only imagine how you would feel if someone you loved was involved in an accident. It is a life changing event. I am stunned that you had the nerve to post such a thing and I hope and pray that I am NEVER on a dive boat with you or even in the same city.
#46- Deepstops. No need to join the "pack-like" mentality. Thank you.

#11 - VooDooGasMan _Your comment was in very poor taste.

#20 -To Ron Lee - The captain of the yacht ICE showed us EXACTLY where they were found and what search coordinates they had mapped out. I am sure there are some misquotes about the coordinates but we did see the map and they were picked up north of Punta Maroma, basically, midway between Playa and Cancun.

#19 Underachiever - I would get on a dive boat with Scubadoc any place any time! She is a very experienced diver and she is one of three diver friends that I know that I would without a doubt be on a dive boat with her. She is smart, calm and reliable and if I had to choose who I was going to be on a sinking boat with it would be Kev and Scubadoc!! (P.S. I do realize that you were kidding! ) :)

#27 - cardzard - I am here with scubadoc as she reads some of this and she sends thanks for the well wishes. Wish more could go in that direction instead of some of the previous comments. -- Put yourself in their place for a moment folks. You have NO idea what it's like to get that kind of phone call - especially after what we've all been through. Think about it from the survivor's perspective as well as the friends standing on the shore praying and crying for their safe return.

#36 -WSOP - I can guarantee that no one here on the island gets your sick sense of humor and irony.

#39 - Peter_C - Some good questions. The boat had a radio. The boat literally sank in 15 seconds and everyone went flying out of it. Scubadoc got entagled in one of the buoy lines and the captain of the boat jumped over and wrestled her out of it, as the boat was sinking. While in the water, she opened up her dry box, retrieved her cell phone and made the distress call. No exaggeration. Only a couple had wet suits. A LOT to think about about being suited up for a crosssing like that. They didn't have time to grab anything. Kev and Ben dove down while the boat's tip was still sticking up in the water and inflated and sent up their BCD's and then the boat was completely gone in a matter of minutes...It happend that fast. I thank you for giving everyone food for thought about preparedness.

Mike - Thanks for your comments - sensible and you make some very valid, level-headed points.

Last edited:
Glad to hear everybody is ok and were found with only a tale to tell and a sunburn. Very lucky nobody was entangled with a boat going down that fast.

I've recently returned to diving after many years. My wife is a completely new diver. Based on information I've found here on Scubaboard, our safety devices consist of: 2 SMB's, 2 signal mirrors, 2 Storm whistles and 1 Diver Alert horn. I told her about the strobes used in this event. She immediately asked "Didn't they have mirrors?" My comment is in no way intended to look negatively at anyone involved in this incident. I am thankful for the information and opinions I've read, and appreciate this forum for educating me to the risks that may be encountered.

I've always been of the opinion a mirror is one of the most powerful rescue devices you can have. I got a flimsy plastic rescue mirror from REI years ago and keep it with me diving. On a sunny day you can't beat the ability of a mirror for signaling a plane, a boat, somebody on shore etc...

Since there is a lot of safety talk going on in this thread - not sure if everybody knows it, but 3 is the international sign for SOS. 3 of anything means somebody is in trouble. 3 gun shots, 3 whistle blows, 3 small fires, 3 sets of crossed sticks, 3 x's on a beach made with your feet in the sand... not only good info for anybody who ends up needing rescue, but good info to know to look out for others, keep 3 in mind.

What a scary story now that more is known. I didn't realize they were in the water for that long! I'm glad it all turned out okay, sounds like most came out of it unscathed, except for Scuba Mau, that boat and equipment is not going to be cheap to replace, with all they have been through they didn't need this knocking them off their feet.

once long ago we came up after diving san juan. the seas had risen to 4 ft while we were down. our boat was nowhere in sight. the dm and several others had sausages which were inflated from the regs and then twisted to hold air inside. the wind and seas flatened them quickly. we drifted for about a half hour. coz was almost out of sight. my sausage is integrated to my bc and stayed stiff despite the winds. i believe it is the reason we were found. alas that setup is no longer sold as far as i know.
as an aside the conversation between the dm and the capt was very heated but the divers were all on a high once we got back aboard. i have never seen that dm or capt since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom