Dangerous gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Team 6, a tragedy, a horrible tragedy.

Note the Swimaster Wideview MOF on the diver locking out ... my favorite mask. Anyone got one for sale?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I previously exchanged E mails with you

I have several -- New, some in boxes--Staps are the problem.

All were called Swimaster but there were several models from different manufactures; Swimaster, PMP, and Voit...Each manufacture did minor mods to the mask..what model are you interested in?

They were my mask of choice do to a facial injury...so I stocked up on them..and still wear them.

SDM

Neoprene skirt, big hog nose purge, rubber innertube like material for strap with adjustable metal buckle (I can make a new one). Usually had two places where the mask frame screwed together. Sam ... and you really help?

Thal,
You don't seem to understand that is a general description of ALL of them...BUT ...Each manufacture did minor modifications to the mask.

Browns mask the lens were farthest from the eyes; rubber was very hard

PMP they did very little to the mask

Voit (Newport Divers) the greatest modifications; a equalization pad in the nose, the skirt shortend, the neoprene skirt also made longer for children, softer skirt, etc etc...very difficult to describe with out comparing side by side..

The one on E bay is so far a good price..go for it

SDM

The Scubapro Pilot reg known to fail in a no air condition.
Show me the data on that. The design still has a downstream bias, so i suspect you'd find that any fault is not in the engineering but rather in the maintanence and adjustment of a Pilot. The Pilot is very difficult to adjust and is easy to improperly assemble as it has lots of very small parts that have to be properly oriented for it to work properly.

But to be fair, with a little thought you can improperly assemble most second stages in a manner where it will fail to deliver gas. Excessive lever play and improper engagement of the poppet are just two methods that will cause a second stage to fail closed.

-----

The CO2 detonator and free ascent training issues annoy me.

First, when I got certified to dive in 1985 (as opposed to "learned to dive" which occurred earlier) we all had CO2 inflators. Nobody died.

Second, we all practiced free bouyant ascents from 30'-40' of water as well as emergency swimming ascents. Again, no body died.

Third, being young, somewhat curious, and recognizing that a 32 gram CO2 cartridge was not going to produce a great deal of lift at even moderate depths, I actually tried it - first at about 60 feet and then at about 20 ft. Both were anti-climatic as at depth the lift is indeed fairly minimal and at shallow depths, the gas is easily dumped provided you have a suitably large OPV/dump valve. I concluded that even if activated accidentally, I was not going to end up imitating a sub launched ICBM.

In contrast once you drop a weight belt, especially in cold water where the belt is heavy, you are on your way to the surface, as the extra lift can't just be dumped.

In that regard a CO2 cartridge made a great deal of sense for emergency lift at the bottom (such as in an OOA event - perhaps due to an inadvertant activation of your J-Valve - where neither power inflation or oral inflation were valid options. Then, as now, dropping weights really only made sense as a means to get immediate positive buoyancy at the surface. But it seems the training agencies have gotten it all screwed up and are anti-CO2 inflator but pro "dump weights on the bottom".

With a flawed/poorly thought out protocols like that, and an absence of training in buoyant ascents, it's no surprise that there are a high number of accidents where a too rapid ascent is a causative factor. But it borders on criminal negligence when training agencies start defending their flawed protocols (drop weights at the bottom, no buoyant ascent training) by citing accident data to try to justify not changing their training protocols (i.e. buoyant ascent training would be dangerous as X number of divers are harmed during rapid ascents) when it is highly likely that their protocols are a significant contributor to both the rapid ascents and the injury to divers during those ascents.

Checked the mask for sale on ebay.

It appears to be a mid production run Voit made by Newport divers for the youth or a narrow face...note the skirt. Not to worry it will fit fine, but requires a different way of placing on the face.

Place the mask in both hands, with your thumbs peel back the skirt, place the mask to the head and release your thumbs. it should form a very tight seal.

After a dive I always wad up my gloves and place inside the mask, at home I place lens down for drying. When dry I have a wood form made from a 2x6 or 2x4 on a belt sander which I place my mask in for long term storage.

These mask are about as perfect as can be made for diving as evidenced by my 50+ years of usage will last a life time if the above procedures are followed.

Good luck in your E baypurchase..

SDM

The Watergill ATpac had some safety issues.

Both the OPV and the inflator valve were mounted in a common housing located in the corrogated oral inflator hose. This was nice in that it was quite streamlined and required a low pressure inflator hose that was only about 6" long. However, theOPV was very small and the inflator valve and OPV took up space in the corrogated hose, greatly restricting the pathway for any air vented from the wing through either the OPV or the oral inflation end of the corrogated hose.

And with the large wing (about 60-70 pounds) it was possible for a diver to have an out of control ascent and ascend fast enough to cause the bladder in the wing to burst.

Plus, if the inflator valve froze or leaked, the short LP hose was difficult to disconnect given that it was located fairly high up 0on the shoulder, creating the precursor condition to an out of control ascent and ruptured bladder.

As a final issue, the inner bladder material was urethane and like the same material used in the old USD horse collar BCs, does not age well and is prone to cracking and failure.

In contrast, the Scubapro Buoyancy control pack used a conventional inflator, an unobstructed corrogated hose and a very large OPV similar in size to what is used on current wings. And it was a single bladder design with neoprene rubber calendared to the nylon structural fabric of the wing. Provided the nylon taped seams did not leak (a problem over time) it was generally good to go.

I did rebuild a few ATPacs for people, but I carefully inspected the bladder and I installed a larger OPV in the wing itself.

-----

The CO2 detonator and free ascent training issues annoy me.

First, when I got certified to dive in 1985 (as opposed to "learned to dive" which occurred earlier) we all had CO2 inflators. Nobody died.

Second, we all practiced free bouyant ascents from 30'-40' of water as well as emergency swimming ascents. Again, no body died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recall George Bond made a bouyant 302 foot ascent.

LA Co Underwater Instructor candidates were (still?) are required to make a 33 foot and a 100 foot bouyant ascent under controlled conditions. Never had a problem!

We find our selves in a different world with different rules and different players...Now there are very few divers but a whole lot of people who dive...

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom