Dangerous lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was told today I needed to switch to nitrox for deep dives for safety. (On further discussion it turns out deep to him was a 100ft and it was the LDS employee back home who told him this 'rule' which he generously applied)

What's the latest untruth you've been told by a fellow diver?

I'm hoping for the uncontroversial untruths.

Cameron

[Edited for clarity]

Last edited:
first dive is your deepest (sounds like a cat stevens song?)...

...But if you want, I'll try to dive again.

A higher percentage of oxygen (O2) means less nitrogen (N2) in your system. Depending on your gas consumption, you would be able to stay down longer with Nitrox vs air at the same depth. The time difference is significant between 50 and 90 feet. Go by your local dive shop and ask compare air tables vs EAN tables. You'll see.

But there is a trade off. You now have to contend with max depth for a given percentage, partial pressures and oxygen toxicity. Not hard to manage, it's taught in your Nitrox course.

For the majority of my dives, I'm usually on EAN32.

A higher percentage of oxygen (O2) means less nitrogen (N2) in your system. Depending on your gas consumption, you would be able to stay down longer with Nitrox vs air at the same depth. The time difference is significant between 50 and 90 feet. Go by your local dive shop and ask compare air tables vs EAN tables. You'll see.

But there is a trade off. You now have to contend with max depth for a given percentage, partial pressures and oxygen toxicity. Not hard to manage, it's taught in your Nitrox course.

For the majority of my dives, I'm usually on EAN32.

I believe he knows this. His profile lists him as an instructor.
He posted this thread asking for "the latest untruth you've been told by a fellow diver"

Yes to both! And thanks for the clarifying replies. My initial post was vague.

Ironically, that is the exact thing that's so common.

Bert has understanding and experience of the useable depth range for nitrox, and can explain it clearly. Unlike my stranger today who simply advised me I needed to be diving nitrox if I went 'deep'.

And yes, it is taught in my nitrox course.

Regards,
Cameron

I was told today I needed to switch to nitrox for deep dives for safety. (On further discussion it turns out deep to him was a 100ft and it was the LDS employee back home who told him this 'rule' which he generously applied)

What's the latest untruth you've been told by a fellow diver?

I'm hoping for the uncontroversial untruths.

Cameron

[Edited for clarity]
Last year my guide in the Philippines stated deep stops reduced the risk of DCI.

He had no understanding of fast and slow tissue types. He wasn't deco trained, just a DM.

I believe he knows this. His profile lists him as an instructor.
He posted this thread asking for "the latest untruth you've been told by a fellow diver"
Thanks! I totally missed that. Since this the Beginner forum, I took it as a question from a new diver. Never noticed his profile.

I'm a :dork2:

I think the most dangerous thing I still regularly hear is that deep ascent strategies are safer and/or that RGBM will get you out of the water faster.

R..

On further discussion it turns out deep to him was a 100ft

If he is recommending Nitrox for these depths, I don't see the problem with it vs. a total blanket statement for using Nitrox for "ALL" deeper depths.

Back
Top Bottom