Dangerous sea life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

This is a serious question. Is there any sea life in the Mid Atlantic region (say Ocean City, MD to Morehead City, NC) which is actually dangerous? We all hear about the sharks, but is there anything else?

Thanks!

I have seen Lionfish in North Carolina and they can be dangerous if you play with them.

O-ring once bubbled...
I have seen Lionfish in North Carolina and they can be dangerous if you play with them.

What, like, fetch?

saying once bubbled...

What, like, fetch?
Either that or musical lionfish..

Just ask yourself this simple question and you'll be fine...
Would I play fetch with a land dwelling Lion? Proceed according to your ansswer :wink:

A hole in the drysuit can be dangerous...

All interesting replies...and amusing - but it was a serious question. If you read your manuals you would know that they all suggest you ask locals about conditions and marine life...

DrSteve once bubbled...
All interesting replies...and amusing - but it was a serious question. If you read your manuals you would know that they all suggest you ask locals about conditions and marine life...
..and I wasn't kidding about the lionfish either. I have seen lionfish, sharks, and, of course, barracuda, but none of those are really dangerous. Just don't grab a lionfish and I am sure you will be fine.

As far as conditions go, NC is like diving in the Caribbean usually, but with a long boat ride and possibly harsh weather. The vis and temps are great though. Virginia Beach and parts north are much more challenging - colder and with noticeably less vis (as poor as a couple feet in some places).

I know you weren't - I've seen pictures on the LDC web page. I'd love to see a Lionfish - but no way I'd play fetch with it. My cat's won't play fetch so I don't see why Sea-Simba would.

Now how about the sharks? They do like snacking on surfers, are there any recorded attacks on divers? Also what kind of sharks are down this way? I've heard of Sand Tigers around Moorehead.

Oh I did the Triangle Wrecks last weekend - 1-3ft of vis with 62F water. Very cold, but it was a good dive which I'd love to repeat in more favourable conditions.

Back
Top Bottom